On probation in my apartment?

Ok So I was told I am on probation and if anything happens from here on out I will be evicted. I have a meeting with management in the morning.

I am on probation because...
my 3yr old pulled the fire alarm and that is considered negligence
my dishwasher flooded
I was cooking and was steaming some food and when I removed the lid the steam went all over the place setting the smoke detectors
and because people complain about noise in my apartment (it is only me and my 3 yr old we leave at 6:50-7am and dont come back home until 6pm and at that time time I am cooking andwe are just relxing reading, a little tv eat, brush teeth bath and bedtime. I am the quietest person anyone would ever meet. I remember when I moved this lady seemed to have a problem with me. I think she had something to do with the person that lived in my unit before me because when i was moving management told me she said she sso happy the last tenents left because she hated them. I think this is the same for me)

I have no idea what to do. I am scared on edge and shushing my daughter so she wont talk to loudly.

I am scared of what they will say at the meeting tomorrow. I work to hard to be homeless. If I am evicted I have no idea what I would do.

what do you guys think will be done during the meeting.. anyone else been through this or similar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I recommend you contact your local tenant's association. Now knowing where you live, I can't provide more advice than that. Most major cities have great groups that help tenants with similar situations that you've got now. Look up your local residential landlord/tenant statutes and find out under what circumstances you can be evicted, and what process they must go through before doing so. Research your rights!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I agree with Busimommi, research your rights and look over your lease and see what it says about being on probation or evicted. Good luck, and you should think about moving because I bet this is just the start of a long headache.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• this all sounds like a bunch of crap reasons , i dont think its legal to evict for any of these reasons
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have been thinking about moving for a couple months now and now taking the search more seriously.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Thats exactly how I felt letstalk.
    The fire alarm I think is a huge one because it is so low. Its low enough for a 3 yr old to reach and I dont think I was being neglecent. Also the steam incident the fire fighters did come and saw nothing was burning but management told me I was being neglecent and letting fiid burn which I was not. The flood is not my fault. The fixed the dishwasher 2-3 times already and it is still messed up and I just dont use it anymore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• OMG. Who here hasn't set off their smoke alarms with their fine cooking skills? I do it with a damn grilled cheese sandwich. I would ask THEM why your dishwasher flooded (unless you know it was your fault like a clogged drain or something), and ask them what the actual damages were to the apartment. As far as the fire alarm, yeah, okay, but thats like 1 out of 4.

Honestly, rather than worry about whether you are going to have a place to live if you stay and if your neighbor is just going to keep bothering you, I would find a new place to live if you're coming up on the end of your lease.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am definitely looking. My lease is up in a couple of months.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Look, you go to that meeting with your head up high, and no fear in your heart. You have every right to allow your child to live in your apartment without someone constantly complaining. Stop telling her to shush, and let that little girl be a little girl. I hate living in apartments, and this is why. People always complain of the littliest things. I'm in a house now, and I'm very thankful. Go to the meeting, and you let them know you made a mistake, but you should not be eviicted over it. Get an attorney if you need to. Try a free legal service because they will fight for you too. I'm sure the complainant will be there. Be the big person and apologize to her, but at the same time, tell her you have a little one, and it's "IMPOSSIBLE" to keep a three year old quiet. No one should live like that. Good luck!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Thanks ambr. Its crazy and the other people are loud. SOmetimes you hear kids runnning and screaming it is me who is the problem. I just wet down there and they are not there and will be going again in about 15mins.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well said ambr2006! Nothing more to add. Good Luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2011