Car

Im a student and single parent...currently not working but get some income...what is a good place to look for a car or get one? Like do you know of some affordable places a girl could look at?

Considered buying one from a rental car agency...anyone ever do it???

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 11:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Shopping

• Do NOT buy a car from a rental care agency. People abuse rental cars-- they usualy have incredibly high miles with no warranties and if you ever decided to resell your car, you won't get as much for them.

I bought my first car from the classifieds in the paper. Now you can log into your local newstation website and get into a classifieds that way. Look up in your area whether any public auctions are held. Take a friend with you who knows something about cars- perferably a mechanic-- and have them check out some prospects. if you find something you like, make a bid!

I also would consider looking out of state. Depending on where you live, car prices can vary significantly. A friend just bought a truck in Florida that was about $2000 more in WA. He spent $200 on a one-way plane ticket and drove it home. He saved money doing it that way.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Since you do not have a job and are single the only way you may be able to get a car is saving up and buying one privately.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't recommend buying used cars from anywhere with high humidity. They tend to have a lot of rust in places you don't look. If you are looking for a really inexpensive car, I would try craigslist and deal locally only. Before you buy, take it to a mechanic and have them do a full diagnostic (usually around $50, depending on how much business you bring them)

If you are going to be financing a vehicle, I recommend you shop around for a good rate BEFORE you start looking at vehicles. You don't want to be at the grace of the dealership to finance you. Look online for the type of car you want and then look at the blue book values to see what you can expect to pay, that way you don't get hosed at the dealership.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Ok I did not think about that with the renatl cars.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I've bought a couple of rental cars. I didn't have any more problems with them than other used vehilce we've had to buy. In fact the car I drive now was a rental and the only 'abuse' was the several of the knobs were stripped and needed replaced. This has been my experience and is just my opinion. But without a job and cosigner no one will give you a car loan.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• no I am not looking for a car note. I want to pay it our right cause I dont have a job and when I had car payments before it was a never ending thing.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You might check out carmax. You can look at their inventory online and see if they have anything that you like.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• But privately! The dealers are vulchers, they will look for EVERY opportunity to screw you. 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It's an awesome vehicle, always dependable.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 6:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011