Does anyone know ....

I just saw this commercial about how you can't take allegra with orange juice. Why is that?

tirelessefforts

Asked by tirelessefforts at 11:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• I used to take a medicine that I couldn't eat grapefruit with. It had something to do with the acidic chemicals combining with an ingredient in the medicine to produce unwanted toxins.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I just saw the same commerical. I was wondering the same thing.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 12:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That's another medication trying to get you to buy theirs!! You can take it with juice but it works better if taken with water!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Its the acid in the juice. It may make the drug break down too fast, or cause a reaction that results in toxins being released in your bloodstream, making the drug ineffective. I am a nurse, and as a rule I take any and all medications with a full glass of water. That helps to disburse the medication thru-out the bloodstream as it is broken down in the stomach
    Rosemirrors

Answer by Rosemirrors at 10:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• the acid in the juice makes you absorb the medication faster.....there are some things that are good to take with orange juice though, like iron tablets :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• hmm, interesting, I'm bad not to read directions unless I'm giving something to the kiddos, stupid, I know
    tirelessefforts

Comment by tirelessefforts (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You also shouldn't eat grapefruit when you take Lipitor.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• the juice reduces the effectiveness of the drug. you should not take this with erythumyacin (sp?) or antacids.

if i suffered from allergies, i would try chiropractic care and/ or acupuncture before any of those drugs : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• what was that down vote for?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Nothing bad will happen to you, I've taken allegra d before so all it does if you drink juice is the juice absorbs some of the medicine meaning it will make the drug less effective, don't worry so much about that. I've taken allegra d and orange juice and nothing happened.
    bellaambru90

Answer by bellaambru90 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011