Baby lotion and baby body wash!?

When can I put lotion on my new borns skin?

ohprettymommy

Asked by ohprettymommy at 12:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put unscented, paraben-free lotion on my son after "bathing" him right away-- I didnt' want his skin to dry out. His first baths were just the sponge baths-- nothing fancy. I know that the Johnson and Johnson baby lotions and washes have great scents and are pretty cheap, but double check the labels. I've noted that some of them still have parabens in them-- which aren't good. Parabens have been found to negatively impact hormones in children, ultimately affecting reproduction. Parabens are found in many types of lotions, sunblocks and other cosmetic products, but repeated exposure in small children is not a good idea.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The day they are born. Well atleast our hospital nurses did.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my son cant use j & J even the fragrance free JJ still made my son break out in a rash. I only use aveeno creamy wash for eczema its a lil expensive but it works and then i always use fragrance free aveeno lotion for eczema. In general always check the labels because me and my fiance have sensative skin also and we bought a walmart brand lotion for us and our skin was burning and we ended up taking it back
    MOMMY2BE0786

Answer by MOMMY2BE0786 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When my daughter was only a week old she was hospitalized from a bad skin infection. She is VERY sensitive. Doctor said to use Cetaphil. Its for very sensitive skin. I used that with her till she was about 3 months old. I didnt start using lotion on her till now and she is 5 months. Im a first time mommy so what do i know? Lol im still learning as well. Best bet is to check with your doctor.. :-)
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 2:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I've always thought that right after the baby is born they can have baby lotion put on them. After I had my son and the nurse bathed him, she put lotion on him. Just avoid the face at first.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 2:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Right away! Lotioning them up will keep their skin nice and moisturizes so it doesn't dry out and flake! I use aveeno, my doctor recommended it because he doesn't like the j & j, it causes too many rashes. Another great tip, don't wash There hair too often at the beginning it dries out the scalp and causes cradle cap. For the first month I washed his hair every 6 days and now I wash it every other day and he hasn't gotten it yet! :)
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 6:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011