Why can't we all just get along? (partial rant)

Taken from a Facebook thread:

Poster: Don't buy the patriotic PEPSI with pictures of the Empire State building and the Pledge of Allegiance on it. Pepsi omitted "UNDER GOD." as not to offend anyone. Don't buy them, Pepsi won't be offended when they don't receive our money that has the words,"IN GOD WE TRUST" on it! (for fffs sake i can't stand Pepsi anyway but if those who believe In God don't buy, MAYBE for once the majority will be counted!)

Me: "under God" was added to the pledge of allegiance in the '50's. The original writing had it omitted as well.

Poster: i know the history... just tired of petty people and the whole pc thing and removing God from everything offends a great mass of people, if a school has 500 religious persons but 10 complain about prayer they take it out , what kinna math is that lol. so where are our rights not to be offended;/

Me: And on the other side of it, I find it just as annoying to have God shoved down my throat everywhere I go. No matter how flat you make a pancake it still has two sides.

Someone Else: yeh but those are our rights to belive in what we want and american free so why take god away and our ten commands to let them be where they have been for years nomatter how hard youll try to get rite of god he his more powerful you are me have you not lived in his miricals you live in it everyday so deal with it he well be here when where gone god is great and he well always be that

Me: Yeah. Great. You believe in god and think he's the be-all, end-all of everything. I DON'T. So why must I be inundated with how great you think he is when I have other beliefs I can't even mention or talk about because I'll be told I'm going to hell (which I don't believe in) because I BELIEVE SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN YOU!????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why can't we all just get along? You believe in God, I don't. How does that make you any better a person? How does that make me less of a person? What works for me may or may not work for you I get that and can respect that. Why can't you? I am NOT going to go to hell because I don't believe the same thing you do. As a matter of fact I don't believe that heaven and hell exist. But that's ME. I DO NOT go around slamming people and telling them they're horrible just because they believe differently than me, why can't you do the same?

*sigh* I could go on and on, but I've got a feeling what I've already said is going to just start a fight as is.

Can't we all just get along and allow others to think and believe as they wish?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• When people pass on misinformation such as the Facebook poster, it is irritating. When they post statuses about how we've "removed God" from the pledge and from public school, etc, it's inaccurate. When someone responds the a post such as these trying to point out the inaccuracies in their rants and get bashed back like "Someone Else"^^ did to the OP, it's ridiculous. It isn't a defense of said beliefs, or non-belief if you will. It's pointing out inaccuracies. And if these people would just stop, listen, and think about it, they may come to see that no one is taking God away from them (because no one can do such a thing) and that their rights aren't being stripped from them. What I was trying to say is that usually people who makes those types of public rants aren't interested in facts or listening to opposing points of view, so it's just best to let it alone.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Those types of statuses tend to irritate me a little bit, too, especially when it's just passing on false information. Pepsi never did that. Basically, we can chose to ignore it, or hide it, or respond to it. I found that responding never accomplishes much other than just infuriating them further. I've found that there are just a lot of people out in this world that have strong views like this and feel the need to protect Christianity. I don't get it, and I don't agree with it, but nothing is going to change their minds.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• But you guys are doing the exact same thing. You are defending your own beliefs at the same time. It's not really any different. No offense. Just how I see it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You know, it's Facebook and people are going to post their opinions. It's their profile, and it does ask what's on your mind! lol By interacting with an opinion that you don't agree with, which you did...you are the one not leaving things alone. Just sayin..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I know I should have shut it after my first comment, or not commented at all, but I DO get tired of seeing god everywhere when I'm not christian. BUT, if I even TRY to voice my beliefs I'm shut down and told I'm going to hell for believing differently.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There are a lot of things that are shoved down our throats these days that I get tired of because I'm not a "believer".But I pretty much just let it go.People are entitled to their opinions,whether it's based on fact,or fantasy,doesn't matter.I can choose to engage in it or ignore it.It can be very irritating when someone states something as fact when you,yourself,KNOW that it isn't,but most of the time it really isn't worth the effort to bother with.And I learned long ago to never get involved in the various comments in Facebook.It gets you nowhere pretty fast.
    MistyBlueMom

Answer by MistyBlueMom at 7:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When people pass on misinformation such as the Facebook poster, it is irritating. When they post statuses about how we've "removed God" from the pledge and from public school, etc, it's inaccurate.

--

ITA w/ Kelley. I usually just ignore these kinds of posts, but it's hard to see people spread inaccurate information, especially if they're trying to get others angry and worked up over that inaccurate information. Occasionally I post a response or speak up about something I don' t agree with on someone's status or something they shared, but usually I just ignore it and let it go.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• No, people will never all get along when it comes to religion and politics. It will never happen. The most that can be hoped for is they debate these topics with kindess, and as you know on facebok and cafemom this isn't possible either.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Its like you said...two sides of a pancake.
    They want it their way...you want it yours.

When that is the situation noone wins and arguments ensue. Just part of the game we call life. There will ALWAYS be those unhappy about something and call it unfair and there will be those who feel they know more, are more, etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Actually we can get along just that people just don't think at times and don't realize how it makes others feel. And unfortunately its not always politics and religion only... we still have racism,sexism,ect,ect....
    terep001

Answer by terep001 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011