3 year old afraid of the dark

She seems fine when she is in our room her her little brother's room, but when she is by herself she has to have the light on. Any tips on how to break the fear?

MommyShannon90

Asked by MommyShannon90 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we started to let our dog sleep in my dd's room. it made all the difference in the world. don't know why...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Have you tried Monster Spray? Get a misting spray bottle of any kind, fill it with water and spray those monsters away. Make it a little silly and fun. That worked for both of my kids. That, and having Mom and Dad jump around the room growling at the monsters (think Monsters Inc.) to make them go away. A nightlight might help. We've got Christmas lights strung around the ceiling in both kids' rooms as well since all the outlets are covered by furniture.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Hmmm... my first thought about the monster spray idea is that it could really backfire (no pun intended). Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think that even acknowledging that there are monsters to spray or growl at might actually confirm her fears. Sorry, I know that's not a helpful suggestion, just an idea.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Love the Christmas light suggestion. Does she have a favorite stuffed animal that maybe she could cuddle as she falls asleep under her Christmas lights? (I've been afraid of the dark almost my entire life)
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Get lower wattage bulbs and let her leave the light on. My son did it for years.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I just put DS's light on dim. I don't see that he needs to be broken out of it. I think its just a phase that he will grow out of.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 11:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2011