Are you for or against Unions in America and why?

I am for unions. I am because they provide decent wages and protection for my family.

Sheraymonet

Asked by Sheraymonet at 12:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "hubby has seen people working with dangerous elements without proper protection, those who complained simply no longer had a job."

"I call BULLSHIT"

This was some years ago, hubby was working at a shop temporarily during a lay-off. These workers had gloves supplied by the company BUT they were the inexpensive ones that really did not provide the protection needed. When OSHA was scheduled to show up, they of course, had the proper gloves for that short period of time...OSHA gone, back to the inexpensive ones that, as I said, didn't provide the proper protection. The element they were working with was keytone. Keytone, by the way, damages the liver and there are protective gloves people working with it are supposed to use. They are expensive however and the company only supplied them when OSHA was around. These types of things still happen in some companies, OSHA cannot oversee EVERY company properly.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You are presenting a question that doesn't exist . You don't have to be "for" or " against" unions. I'm for limiting their bargaining rights to a reasonable level.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Employees shudder because without their union they'd have a hard time making their ends meet.

Yet a large part of the 93% of the working population, (private sector) seem to make ends meet without a union.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am because they provide decent wages
    --
    Oh really?
    Since when does a union employ anyone other than the PR people and presidents of same?
    Employers provide the decent wage, my dear. EMPLOYERS
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Unions have a place and I can see a reason for them, but overall I believe they cause more harm than good. The protect crummy workers from getting disciplined or sacked, they destroy businesses, and they have too much say in workers rights (if a worker doesn't have the option of not joining).
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am AGAINST unions (obviously!). I am a teacher in a FORCED UNION state...and I HATE the fact that the dues are deducted from my paycheck whether I want to be a part of the union or not! I DON'T need the medical benefits--my husband's job has a fantastic program, and NO ONE has EVER been able to "bargain" on my behalf better than I can (and have) done myself!! I have never been the kind of person to "watch the clock" and ONLY do what my job description entails...I have ALWAYS been a TEAM player, and done more than my share, for which I was always rewarded handsomely for doing so. I HATE the fact that "no one is special, everyone is the same" and as such we honor and celebrate mediocrity!!

Unions HAD their place in this country at one point, NOW it is not the case, as there are PLENTY of workplace laws that protect us all. Unions are STRICTLY about power, and IMO, protecting those who DON'T have good work ethics!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• In general, I am against unions. I don't want to be forced to pay someone else a part of my paycheck for services that I don't really need. Neither I nor my hubby have ever been part of a union, so I just don't see the need.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• and protection for my family. ----

Please explain the protection your family is receiving by the Union that your local lawyer or Federal employment laws don't.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

http://finduslaw.com/federal_employment_laws

My troll radar is beeping this morning...............

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am against them in certain situations. One is teacher Unions that protect crummy teachers.

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am obviously against unions. As an employer I laugh when I see some of you talking about how unions provide you with a good wage and a SAFE place to work. How is it that this is standard for my NON union employees? I am governed by a mulitude of agencies that oversee the safety in my workplaces. My state provides one of the highest minimum wages..$8.50 in the country.

I would love to start a line of children's clothing, made from American materials by American citizens. My business would be "ruled" by a union though...from the start because of the high wages and benefits they demand it isn't feasible though. Why..because people will just go to Target or Walmart for the lower price. I won't deal with a union so I won't start the biz.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011