Sleeping/feeding... sleeping through the night

I should be happy, but I'm concerned.
I have a set of twins, 2 months old. In 2 nights in a row, they slept through the night, about 7 hours. Last night, at the feeding before the 7 hours of sleep, they drank 1 less oz. of formula than usual. Since I feed them every 3.5 hours or so, they basically skipped one feeding. The amount of each feeding has not gone up, so it means their total amount of the formula per day decreased.
I'm happy and not happy with this transition. Sleeping through the night should not cut down the feeding, should it? How was your experience?

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 12:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's possible they've been through a growth spurt and are "leveling out" and so will be ok with a little less. Just keep an eye on those wet diapers and their weight. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Babies will not go starved unless the parent does it. I would say if that is what they are doing on their own I wouldn't worry about it, but i'm no expert. Let them sleep, they will let you know when it's time to get up! If you are truly concerned ask a Dr.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i agree that it might have been a growth spurt that they just went through. They will let you know when they are hungry!! Somedays they will want more, some less. It's wonderful that they went the 7 hours. I hope it continues for you!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Try adding an ounce to a couple of their daytime feedings so they make up that "lost feeding", and see if they take it. I would be concerned too about them not getting enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It'll all work out. They won't starve themselves and just be thankful they are sleeping so well...especially with twins, lol. Watch how they eat during the day. I bet eventually they start fussing for a larger amount with some of their feedings. My 8mo started to do that. He had been taking 4oz every 3 hours or so and then started sleeping through the night and suddenly wanted to eat every 2 hours again or would throw a fit after 4oz so we'd give him 6oz but he'd only take that some times. It was frustrating first to figure out what he wanted but eventually it evened out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• you are very lucky that your twin sleep thru the night. My pedi told me to increase the feeding during the day to make up for the missing feeding.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2011