8 month old son, still getting up every two hours at night to BF

I want to breastfeed, but the every two hours at night is KILLING ME. I BF my DD, but she weaned herself off of the night feedings. HELP. It's to the point where I'm falling asleep with all my kiddos up during the day and I have no energy because of lack of proper sleep!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 12:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try giving him a bottle instead. Keep it in reach and have enough light in the room for him to find it if he needs it. Obviously it is not something you want to let go on for too long but it might be worth a try. Maybe it will help a couple times each night.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Will he take a pacifier? Or a bottle of water? Maybe if he gets water instead of milk he'll lose the habit of needing to be nourished at that time. Sorry I don't have better suggestions, but here's a bump for ya!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I've tried offering a pacifier, bottles and water but all he does is scream his head off. It wakes my other kids up and then it's an even longer period of time that I'm up struggling to get kids and him back to bed.....It's taking a BIG toll on my body. :(
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• She's at the age that babies start to get separation anxiety and insecurities. It's probaby just a phase. My son was doing the same thing at that age. I tried using the Ferber method and it was successful. It's not for everyone but it worked for my son and I.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• No, I'm not sure that it is, because he's been doing it since he was born.....there's random nights where he'll only wake up once, but that's like once a month if that...they aren't regular...
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well, I am not a pro brestfeeding person. But 2 hrs a night at 8 months, Bottle or whatever is out of hand. Try CIO. The more you keep catering to your baby it will just keep playing off that. Unless the baby is in pain or needs changed let the baby CIO.
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my baby just turned 9 months and some nights he wakes up like that..he teethes really bad so im sure that doesnt help but I have noticed I give him a snack before his bath before bed hes go for 5-6 hours then wake up..but I know how you feel..it would be amazing to have a full 6 hours of sleep lol
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I did a lot of research on the sleeping habits of ebf babies and this is normal behavior. Breastfed babies enjoy the comfort of cuddling with you, that's why they wake up so often to nurse. Is he stuffing himself before bed or just snacking, cause that could be your problem. Try making him eat more before bed and it will hopefully make him sleep longer!
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 5:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• for the sleep you need, just let your baby sleep with you. instead of getting up every two hours, you will only need to roll over every two hours. you will not feel as sleep deprived.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Have you tried rocking him when he wakes at night? Babies are sometimes legitametly hungry or thirsty at night, but every 2 hrs at that age, I would THINK that some of the nursings are habit. You can try other methods of comfort before nursing, or, alternately, you can cosleep so that you can nurse while lying down.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011