This is a question about Blood types in children?

My Husband has A positive blood type.I have O negative blood type..our children have their fathers blood type A positive blood type...I always had to have the shot in my hip when my children were born so my next child would not have to have a blood transfusion..My question is with my husband having A positive blood type and me having O negative blood type are there a chance of me having a child with my blood type or will it always be his? not that it really matters just wonder..It's most important to me that my children are healthy and they all are.Just wonder if our next child could have mine. or another not A positive blood type thanks

newbabystarr09

Asked by newbabystarr09 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• From my understanding, you had to have a injection or Rh immunoglobulin (RhIg) because you're RH-Negative. That can make your body attack the baby and kill it. I haven't been told anything about a transfusion, but I am O-Positive so maybe that's why. =)

Children can inherit either parents blood type. The only reason they give you the shot is because IF the child doesn't have your blood type, then your body will react like it's allergic to the baby which can cause real harm. However, since they don't know the type of blood baby will have until it's born, it's just a precaution.

However, an antibody screen is another blood test that can show if an Rh-negative woman has developed antibodies to Rh-positive blood.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It depends if he's a carrier for the O type. If either of his parents are O, then statistically half your kids would be expected to be. Same for the "negative".
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• In other words, if either of his parents is anything "negative" then you could have a Rh negative child. If either of his parents is O, then you could have an O type baby. But the chances of an O-negative would be small even if he is a carrier of both the O and the Negative because the two things are independant of each other. Just curious.. how many kids do you have? All A+?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• we have 3 children all A that is way I have wondered why none was mine or another
    newbabystarr09

Comment by newbabystarr09 (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Haha That sounds funny..all 3 of our children have hes blood type not mine..
    newbabystarr09

Comment by newbabystarr09 (original poster) at 3:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The only way that your kids could have O- blood is if he carries the recessive O- genes, but also carries A+. You can ask his parents what their types are, which may help you figure that one out. Both O and Rh negative genes are recessive, so if one of them has O or negative blood, it's possible.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• He was adopted at birth so there is no way to ask his biological Mother and all we know is his biological father died before he was born and his mother was very young at the time of his birth.
    newbabystarr09

Comment by newbabystarr09 (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• About 85% of the worlds population has RH positive blood. So, yes the chances of them having your blood type are much more slim, but it's not impossible if you continue to have children.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am B- and one of my kids inherited my blood type, it happens sometimes
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 6:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It all depends on genetics. I am A- we are unsure what DH blood type is but DS is O- like his grandfather. There is a possiblity a child could have your blood type it just depends on what gene is dominate. It's the same for hair and eye color.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2011