Something good for dry, itchy skin in pregnancy

The skin on my breasts and stomach is very dry and itchy. I've tried several different lotions and body washes but nothing seems to work that well. I like St Ives oatmeal and Shea butter but it doesn't last that long before the itching comes back. Does anyone have any suggestions on something good to use?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 4:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Aveeno Baby is the best, I use it on myself and it's strong (originally suggested for my dd's edzema but then I fell in love with it.) It's in the baby section. You may also look into Aquaphor, my doctor recently told me they came out with a cream-like lotion and I want to try that too.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Bio Oil it is not too oilly but last for awhile. I used it for my dry skin and it was great.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Adding in some rosehip seed oil to anything you use will help, as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
    Camellia seed oil is also good, because it is very penetrative.
    Pure olive squalane is molecularly very similar to the squalane produced by human skin.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Any lotion with vaseline in it. It's amazing :)
    amj616

Answer by amj616 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Try Eucerin.
    amanda1503

Answer by amanda1503 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I personally think commercial lotions and creams just make my skin worse. They have drying agents in them so they feel like they're helping but they actually just make your skin dependent on them.

I use coconut oil on my skin when it gets dry and when I shower I don't use body wash. Just a wash cloth, water and a good scrubbing. If I feel like smelling good then I'll add one of my favorite essential oils in with the coconut oil.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i have the palmers itching spray (basically just liquid cocoa butter) and i love it. my stretch marks are even way less than they were last time. i just spray it on after i get out of the bath or shower when my skin will soak it in better. make sure you're using a good natural cleanser with moistuizing properties.
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 2:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• This product totally saved me during my pregnancy!

http://www.goldbond.com/extra-strength-body-lotion.html

It has to be the one in the green bottle. I tried EVERYTHING. I did the lotions, creams, oils; stuff for dry skin, extra dry skin, eczema, EVERYTHING short of ripping my skin off it itched so bad! But the Gold Bond Extra Strength worked really well! And the only medicine in it is simethicone and menthol. Simethicone is commonly found in stuff like Gas-X and is safe for pregnancy use.

You can find this lotion in most pharmacies for about $8 a bottle.

Hope this helps!
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 12:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Wow! I wish I could help! I just finished with radiation. So let me tell you my poor areas was so burned and itchy.. I tried desitin diaper rash cream they gave me that for a burn. Can't say it worked. But a friend that used it said it did for her. My DD bought me bio oil it didn't help me. I'm sorry. But cheap cocoa butter. Did you try that? Wsihng you find what helps you!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I like both Eucerin and Aveeno. You might be best served by getting samples of several kinds of lotion until you find one that works for you...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 2:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2011