What a waste!

How can I diplomatically/reverse psychology even my 12 yo (closer to 13) daughter into wearing other shoes and clothes in her closet rather than THE SAME OLD THING? Any hints or ideas? It's not that I or her Dad picked out the clothing (she did) but only wants to wear THE SAME OLD CLOTHES AND SHOES. What a waste of money if we let this go on. Please don't tell me to let her wear what she wants to (we have a big investment in shoes and clothes that aren't being worn).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You can't. Pick and chose your battles. Save your energy for the big important batlles that count.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When she puts her favorite cloths in the wash. put them up (hide them). Or just throw them away. So she has to wear the other cloths. Or put them up and just tell her she has to wear the other cloths or she will never get her cloths back.

Answer by louise2 at 6:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You can't really tell her what to wear and not too because she will not listen. I say sell the things she doesn't wear and when you do buy her stuff make sure she is with you because maybe she doesn't like the things that you are getting her. I go through the same thing with my 16 yr old and sometimes its not even worth the fight.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Of all the parenting battles this is one I would not fight. I would just be more cautious in the future when she asks for new clothes.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• This is one I learned wasnt worth the fight. I just stopped buying them as many clothes and used the rule if they absolutely did not love it in the store it would not be worn. I also started giving them gift cards, rather then clothes for holidays and birthdays. At back to school time I take them to the mall and give them cash. I am only there to insure the money is spent on clothes.

Answer by gemgem at 7:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• At the cost of clothes and shoes today you've no doubt spent a small fortune. OUCH, but you cannot make her wear them without turning this 'battle' into a full war, and it not worth it. My suggestions are stop buying her any new clothes and shoes. Let her wear what she wants and leave all her clothes in her closet and drawers. When she outgrows them and has nothing else to wear then allow her to buy one or two new/used outfits and one pair of shoes. If she wants anything else she will need to earn the money to buy them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Stop wasting money purchasing clothing she doesn't want to wear. She's her own person and it's time to let this go.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Quit buy her stuff she doesn't want to wear. Take her to shop at a thrift store instead of purchasing new for clothes (never by used shoes as the previous wearer has worn their foot pattern in to them) and get a couple of pairs of her favorite shoes. Why fight it. She's found what she is comfortable in and what allows her to be her.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Is it hurting anyone that she's not wearing all the clothing in her closet? Are the clothes that she wears dirty? ARe the clothes offensive? If not, leave it alone and stop buying her clothes that she will not wear.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Take it back to the store or donate it to a worthy cause. And, let her wear what she wants!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011