What do you teach your children?

I have 3 toddlers--my DS is almost 4, my ODD is almost 3, and my youngest is just-turned 1. DS goes to preschool 2 days a week. In Sept, when the new school year starts, DS will be going 3 days a week and DD will be going 2 days a week. However, I still want to continue "learning" at home. Do you have a schedule for what you teach? Do you teach all of the "topics" in one day, or do you split them up? I was thinking of splitting it all up...Like one day do Language (letter recognition, writing, reading), one day do "Math" (numbers and shapes), one day do music (play music, singing, dancing), one day do art (painting, coloring, etc), one day do "misc" (using scissors, holding a pencil, nutrition, speech, etc), one day do Physical Education (they do Karate on Saturdays), and then having an off day on Sundays. Does that sound like a decent plan for toddlers? It obviously wouldn't be an all day thing, maybe an hour or two split up throughout the day.

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 6:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We worked in their learning around what we were doing that day. We didn't do any formal instruction at home, I would just expand on whatever they were playing with at the moment or point out interesting things. I think they actually learned more doing it that way because they were interested in whatever we were talking about rather than making them sit down and talk about what *I* wanted to talk about.

Answer by missanc at 8:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Don't be too structured. They are young and will learn many of these things in school. Make whatever you do fun and interesting. It is also fun to work these tings into your daily routine like when you are shopping you can talk about money and numbers. You can take a walk and talk about colors and shapes, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It does, but once they start school it would be best to ask the instructors what they are working on and build from there. When my kids went theyd have for instance a week of learning about hibernation and winter, so lets say the kids are learning that you can mix that in with whatever you are teaching at home too.

Answer by gemgem at 7:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011