For countryside dog owners..

Do you use a leash when you let your pet outside? We have a huge yard where our dogs love run and play. Our township has a leash law but I find it almost cruel to tie them up with all this room to run. Do you abide by these laws???

jspenny2705

Asked by jspenny2705 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• If you mean running free on your property, why not? I don't use a leash when I put the dogs outside, but they don't leave the property either. And they have a very reliable recall, which is important as well.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• leash law here even though it's county wide doesn't really pertain to rural areas. They only enforce it in town
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There is no leash law here but my dogs are not allowed to run free. I don't care that we live in the country I refuse to allow them to be a nuisance

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Leach laws her in town only. Wide open country spaces they can run free.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:37 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if you have a leash law then your best choice it to obey it.. if you don't and a neighbor wants to be a butt about it they can have your dog taken. we have a outside dog that is on a chain. i hate having her on it and every do often we take her to my in laws and turn her loose in their fence and run. we are trying right now to get a fence built so we can let her run loose in the backyard. without the worry of our neighbors. but we have a neighbor that will call the pound and another that will shoot animals running around.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• In town we have a leash law. We have a large pen where she can run though. When we lived on an acreage, the dog we had then was allowed to run free - but he stayed close. Once we're back on an acreage, we'll partially contain our current dog til she learns her boundaries, then she'll be allowed to run free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I thought leash laws only apply if they r not in a fenced in yard.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We live outside city limits and there is no leash law out here. I sure wish there was though. Nearly every one of our neighbors just lets their dogs run wild! They come in our front yard and POOP and get my dogs all worked up. Dogs around us are always getting run over. And once, a dog tried to attack me! I don't care if a person thinks their dog will never leave their property...you just NEVER know! And what's to stop someone from coming on your property and stealing your dog? Our backyard is fenced in and we have about 3/4 of an acre for our dogs to run on. When I take them for a walk around the block, they are on leash. Then, we have every dog in the neighborhood running up to mine and barking/snarling at us! I have to carry a big stick with me. I've never actually hit one of them, but I have taken a swing. Most of the time, all I have to do is hold the stick up and say "get" or "go on" and they run back home.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i have 2 dogs that i let run in a fenced in area of about 2 acres and the others run free on the rest of our property, 3 of them are just strays that we feed and the other is my little dog but she always comes when i call her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There is no leash law, but we do keep them from being a nuisance. If they are bothering someone, we immediately get them and go inside.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011