Books (all beliefs)

What is your favorite book having to do with the beliefs and practices of your religion?

If you had to name one book for someone to read to learn more about what you believe, which would you recommend?

Maitri4

Asked by Maitri4 at 7:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'll tell you what, I haven't read a book specifically based on what I believe in that would make sense to someone else who hasn't practiced it...However, I have read The Shack....and I recommend that book to everyone...It was very hard for me to get past the first chapter or two...but then I'm glad I did. so that is my recommendation... The Shack by William P Young.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have read a bunch of religious books, but I really liked the Tao of Pooh ! :) Its easy and fun to read. I think the first time I read it ....I was 17.
    The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey was really good too...it cleared up a lot of misinterpretations that we hear about Satanism. What can I say curiosity killed the cat. LOL !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Cosmos by Carl Sagan:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well, since I'm an Eclectic Pagan Witch, I can't really pick JUST one, but my number one favorite book right now is The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries by Z. Budapest. I have a few others that I would list as "must reads" to get an idea of the path I follow, but that's at the top of my list for now.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i like all the scott cunningham's Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner... i think it's a really good book for anyone that is starting to look into pagan/wicca beliefs.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. It's a series of letters written by a senior demon to his nephew, who is on his first mission to tempt a man to hell in WW2 London. It's wickedly funny and bitingly honest. Highly recommended. Read with your brain engaged.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 8:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Uhmm, I'd recommend something by Brian McLaren or Karen Armstrong - those are the two authors I seem to agree with the most.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I always have trouble picking a favorite or just one of anything. lol I would probably say Living Buddha, Living Christ, is my favorite right now because I feel it ties my Christian upbringing in with my current practice of Buddhism. I LOVED it, and would recommend it to anyone no matter what their beliefs are. Really, anything I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh, the Dalai Lama, or Pema Chodron has been great IMO.

I also really like Buddha Mom by Jacqueline Kramer and Momma Zen by Karen Maezen Miller. These are both very practical books for moms of young children--written by Buddhist moms of young children. I also read the Dhammapada pretty regularly.

I really loved the Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff, and of course the Tao Te Ching is great. I just recently read Stephen Mitchell's version of the Tao Te Ching. My DH is more of a Taoist, and I've been studying it more lately.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• A small book, less than 100 pages, titled Vedanta: A Simple Introduction by Pravrajika Vrajaprana
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I love the Dhammapada, which is a compilation of some of the sayings of the Buddha. As far as modern writers go, I would recommend Thich Nhat Hahn, Pema Chodron, Lama Surya Das... they all do a good job of explaining Buddhist philosophy/practice in modern terms.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2011