How do you try and keep your bills low?

with the constant rising cost of regular household bills, who do you keep your bills low?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 8:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have gotten my electric bill down by almost 50% just by turning things off, changing out lightbulbs, using efficient appliances etc. I bundle my cable to include my phone and internet and save around $450 a year doing that. I only drive where I need to go since gas has gotten so high. I cancel out things we dont need when we get short on cash. Lets say my kids do Karate, Ill take them out for the summer and save around $500 doing that a year. I save $25 out of each check for back to school time so I dont have that bill hit me at once. We do the same for Christmas. Little things like that help out in the long run and relieve stress.
    I also pay the bills as they come in to avoid late fees.

Answer by gemgem at 8:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Turn the lights off, unplug things that are not being used, and try to pay a little extra when I have it...so the next bill isnt as big when I have less money.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• as pp said, turn lights off when not in use and unplug things that aren't in use. keep the a/c at a reasonable level. use cold water in the wash. in the summer, keep blinds a little shut so the house is naturally cooler. this month my elec. bill is only $91 and it was $75 more than that last month. for food bill, look for coupons and sales, and buy as much generic or store brand items as you are willing to.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• during the day i open up all the windowa and keep all the lights and air off I LOVE IT!!! also if you keep little things unplugged like the microwave the toaster cell phone charger.. all those things use up electricity every little bit helps :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't go over budget on anything...and I keep my standards pretty rigid for what I think a "good price" is. It can be a bit of a challenge. For example, our grocery budget hasn't changed in years despite rising food costs, but I have had to do better about shopping sales, planning more based on ads, and cross shopping. Right now, since it is light outside, there are no lights on. When we are up and active, I turn down the heat to about 62 or 63.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Lights off, fridge turned down a little, air up to 75 in summer, 65 in winter, shorter showers, unplugging things that aren't being used. I'm sure there are a few more, but I can't think of them right now. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I find ways to stretch meals. I will buy an average sized chicken and roast it, then we will have it once with mashed potatoes once with mac and cheese and the the rest of the chicken I used to make chicken soup. I also send my husband with lunch for work, this way he is not spending $5 to$10 a day on that
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011