SHOULD I HAVE MY DD'S PEDIATRICIAN GIVE THE FLU SHOT?

naomnicole

Asked by naomnicole at 1:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They came out with a new flu vaccine that is squirted up the nose instead of given as a shot. They said it was more effective then the shot, less side effects, and it doesn't hurt or irritate your nose.
    I would get the new one if any way possible.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I like to get my own flu shot at my doctor's- if I have a bad reaction I am already there, for example, and I feel that I get better care than if I were to go and stand in line at a flu shot clinic. So I think if I had a little one that I'd rather go to the pediatrician for her.

Answer by Bmat at 1:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Sure, why not. My dd got it last year and this year. My hubby got the flu last year (the only one without a shot) and he was miserable for 2 weeks but dd and I were fine. We all got it this year.

And just an FYI: They flyers at the doc's office said the nasal thing is for 2 and older.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter is 7 months old and at her 6 month checkup I had the doctor give her a flu shot. She did just fine and I'd rather give her the vaccine then have her get the flu. I heard the flu can be really fatal for babies. I would just talk it over with your pediatrician but it should be okay.
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Discuss it with your doctor, but it's probably a good idea! The nasal one is NOT, though, as that uses the live virus...you're not supposed to have that one while pregnant, either.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• As long as she's at least 6 months old, it is recommended. Flu can be VERY dangerous (even fatal) to infants. Also, make sure you, your SO, and anyone who spends time with your daughter have it as well (especially if she's NOT 6 months yet, and can't get it).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I have gotten Eric his flu shots. I cannot take the chance of him getting sick since he will get it worse than a full-term baby. It is a dead virus so it shouldn't hurt your child. Also get yours as well, even if you are breastfeeding. They have a special one that you can get. Plus your baby gets extra antibodies through your milk.
    NeedsChocolate

Answer by NeedsChocolate at 2:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008