Should texting terms be allowed in the dictionary?

they had it on the news this morning that texting terms are being added to the dictionary. but should they really be allowed?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 8:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I find text abbreviations to be the dumbing down of language and would NOT like to see them in the English Language Dictionary as anything other that slang or abbreviations. People should know the word is "probably" and not "prolly". Speaking in text, to me, shows how uneducated or just plain dumb an adult is. Kids speak gibberish and nonsense all the time, but as an employable adult, you should speak like one.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I personally do not think so, unless it's a separate section and not included with actual words.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You're kidding. I thought the dictionary was for real words. I can just see it...in the near future sone kid is gonna answer a question with IDK instead of I don't know and is going to use the "it's in the dictionary" excuse for the truncation. If they must do something like a dictionary for these terms, it'd be better to have them in their own volume.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• No, I don't think so. Texting is not actual words but a shortform of real words to make it faster.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't have any problem at all with them being added to the http://www.urbandictionary.com/, but I'd prefer that Webster left them out. :)

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• NO...i think their should be a Textionary.......
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 11:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• idk wht nebdy sz itz th dmbng dwn f mrca....and that's my final answer.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think if it is common to hear people say it then yes but if you can't say it then no.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Personally if I seen texting/IM lingo on my childs phone/computer and didn't know what they ment or stood for I would like a reference guide to tell me.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Linguistics is my area of training. Let me assure you that there are no such things as "unreal words." Language is how humans communicate with one other. We refer to language as a contract between the speaker and the listener. Whatever "words" or verbal cues facilitate communication are "real words." Those verbal cues might be "nuh-uh" or "awwww" or "idk" or "the cat is out of food." As long as the utterance facilitates communication, it is considered a "real word."

Words make it into the dictionary based on broad spectrum usage over time -- what we call "citations." Certain widely used words in specific fields will not be included because their usage is either not broad enough (confined to a specific industry) or they haven't been around long enough to make enough of an impact on the culture for them to be considered necessary for dictionary inclusion.

"Gonna" is technically not a word by your standards, by the way.
    AmandaMonique

Answer by AmandaMonique at 10:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011