Do you "Challenge" your doctor when you think or know he's wrong? (Edited for word-pickers)

I do.
Through years of being told I was 'overreacting', 'hypochondriac', 'depressed housewife' and almost any other label a doctor could hand me ~ only to have a stroke and need brain surgery and ultimately ended up in a wheelchair facing years of therapy and recovery because doctors didn't listen to me or blew me off ... I learned WELL that doctors sometimes do a LOT more guessing and speculating than they do diagnosing.

Three nights ago I got whacked with a rock HARD on my ankle bone - my whole foot immediately swelled and started turning black all around the ankle bone. The pain was so bad that I got sick, threw up and nearly passed out. When I tried to move my ankle and found I couldn't without excruciating pain, nor could I put any weight on it, I figured I better go for an x-ray.

PA McWilliams at the ER couldn't see an "Obvious fracture" and told me that my ankle was just sprained.....NOT I was hit with a rock. That's not a sprain. I  told him that there's no way he can give me such an "Obviously wrong" diagnosis and asked him to explain to me how being hit with a rock constituted a pulled, stretched or torn ligament. He finally admitted what I already knew (duh, I raised two sons who broke, twisted or injured almost every thing they could - little tree rats, I love em) -- Sometimes a hairline fracture can't be seen immediately and will need follow-up x-rays to properly diagnose.

I went to my regular doctor 24 hours later - new x-ray shows a *very small hairline fracture on the ankle the bone (moreover it shows the calcium deposits where the fractur occurred, making it easier to see) - and I've been put in a cast. I didn't want my ankle to be broken but I'm at least smart enough to know that if a hairline fracture is left untreated and I bear weight on it too soon, I could snap the bone further.

If I hadn't questioned that PA AND followed up with a better doctor lord only knows when my ankle would have healed, if at all.

Know-it-all, take-my-word-for-it-because-I-went-to-school doctors don't intimidate me. I know my body and NEVER fail to seek a second opinion if I walk out of a doctor's office with a guessed-at diagnosis. Even if it's just the flu - don't tell me I have the flu and prescribe me expensive antibiotics without having done a swab and tested for the flu.

Guess that's the lesson to learn girls, if they don't do the proper tests, aren't specifically trained to diagnose what you bring to them - then don't take their word for anything. Without proper diagnosis, their word is really no better than seeking a diagnosis from CM Q&A section (yes, their experience counts for something, but so does mine) ~ heck I've found that a lot of times the nurse seems to have a more accurate idea than the doctor does. SO if you find a good doctor, hang on to his butt, they're getting harder to find.

Do you question your doctor when you disagree with what he's telling you?

P.S.  NOTE TO SELF - don't use the words "argue with your doctor", some people take offense to that apparently.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Health

• No I dont argue. I replace them.

Answer by gemgem at 8:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes, my (mainstream) doctors have been wrong too many times about too many things. I prefer homeopathic medicine vs. allopathic. Like gemgem above, I have replaced them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Wow! Thank goodness I have a wonderful doctor!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I give them the eye roll. That means your an idiot Dr who only cares about a pay check and not helping ppl, and like the first poster said. I replace them.
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 8:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Sometimes I leave the office knowing that they are wrong. I hate it when if they dont have an answer they will, IMO, quickly go to the "have you been depressed?, are you dealing with extra stressors?, are you feeling overwhelmed?, CRAP!. And they start looking at you like you are a hypocondriac (just like OP said). That's make me feel worse than what took me to the office in the first place.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't argue. I'll disagree. Nobody knows your body like you do. Now, I do research and ask questions when I see my doctor.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm just answering your question, I don't have time to read all of your post, but for me, not really, unless I know something is wrong with me and they keep saying there isn't (like when I had my gallbladder problems). For the most part, they're the doctor, they should know, so I leave it to their judgement.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well call me smartypants but it's my body and my insurance and my money paying for treatment - I want it done properly. Experience is both formal and informal - I *have seen enough broken bones in my life to know it and recognize it when I see it... asking for it to be properly looked at and not "blew off" is not too much to ask. If I wanted to *pay for an opinion* I'd be paying you girls LOL. I'm paying for a diagnosis, not a guess.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i do!!! that's one reason i don't go to doctor unless i think they are absolutely needed. i have even ran a doctor out of the room before when i took my oldest in for a UTI and he told me i was full of crap and because i didn't go to college for a medical degree i didn't know what i was talking about. the nurse had already ran a test for UTI and it came back positive. the doctor came in and told us and before i could even get out of my chair he took off down the hall. when we was leaving the nurses was pointing at us laughing and you could hear them saying "that's the woman he was running from"

my dh was in a car wreck and had a hairline crack in his ankle they didn't find it for a week and he was getting xrays everyday.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• They are human and make mistakes. You have to advocate (not argue) when it comes to getting the right medical treatment. DH was misdiagnosed for almost a year with an enlarged prostate. It turned out that he had a 1 inch stone in his bladder. I have 2 friends who are living with cancer because they followed up on their hunches and caught things early rather than taking the doctors word. One even went to Memorial Sloan Kettering and was told she had a benign growth, so even the big experts make mistakes.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2011