Flying with kids??

My husband and I fly with our boys (4 & 2) a couple of times a year to visit grandparents and for vacations. As much as I love my boys, I find traveling by air stressful at times. Going through airport security, unexpected potty breaks just before boarding, making sure they don't kick the seat in front of the them, entertaining and feeding them on long flights, etc. can take a toll on my stress level most times. Does flying with your kids stress you out?? Any tips for making flying day go smoother??

Nikki7474

Asked by Nikki7474 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep! It sure does stress me out! And with the increased security the last time we flew, I REALLY lost my taste for it. My LP was not allowed to take the children or help me at all while I was going through additional screening, so I was trying to manage two children, two bags, a double stroller, and everything by myself. I thought then "never again", and we haven't been since. I can't stand what flying has become, so I have exercised my options!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes, it can be stressful but it is worth it. We always packed some small inexpensive things that they did not know about. Some for the trip going and some for the way back. That, along with the interesting environment of the plane, would keep them occupied. And they loved little hand held puzzles so we would always packed a couple of those.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Also.........pack extra snacks in case of major delays.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• DH fliesall the time for work. Not all parents have a 'don't kick the seat' rule that they enforce.  If they are into music, an inexpensive MP3 player might keep them entertained.  Having new toys (think dollar store) can help too.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I found that when my kids were small and I flew with them that taking the red eye flight's was so much less stressful. Kid's usually sleep because of the 2 a.m. flight time and I got peace and quiet and the kid's didn't disturb the rest of the flight. How I WISH all parents who fly with kid's were as courteous as You!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• With my kids we always try to fly at nap time, also take Leapsters and DVD players etc favorite movies last almost 2 hours good time killer!, in seperate back pack with snacks and lollipops (keeps them quiet) an emergency favorite snack in case of a cry fit or breakdown. I think most planes have 3 seats across so i'd sit with one boy and hubby with the other in front of us so kicking won't be as stressful, most of the time no one sits with us so we have the extra seat to ourselves. Bring a book to read to them. Wear flip flops or slip on shoes no socks in airport, take jackets off while waiting in security line. Send one of you threw with all property so they can get the stuff off the belt and right on the kids and the other one of you goes last. Relax and realize, others have kids, they just have to understand, kids will be kids! Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011