Have you ever had to give up your family pet?

Many people have had to give up the kids pets since they've lost their jobs. Have you had to for any reason? How do you explain that to your children?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately yes I have. Right now my dog is with my mother because DH lost his job and we've moved to Ohio. We do plan to get her back as soon as we find a place that accepts pets. But we need to find a job first. I've had to give up my cats as well. When the economy fails one can't help if they have to move and pets can't be taken along. I know man people say pet ownership is for life. And in an ideal world yes you'll have that pet their entire life. But sometimes there are circumstances you just can't plan for.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I haven't had to give up a pet due to the economy, but when my oldest was born, I had to get rid of a cat who would NOT leave her alone. He wasn't mean to her, but he would constantly try to lay on her or beside her, jump over her, etc, and I did not want to risk the possibility that he would smother her or hurt her...so he went. Not a lot of explanation necessary since she was an infant, but I did make LP take him to the shelter...I couldn't do it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We had to get rid of one of dogs just this January. She would growl everytime DS would be in the same room. We tried everything to get her at least tolerate him but nothing worked.She loved all the other kids that came over but they were older. She niped his lip one day for no reason just walked by him playing on the floor and drew blood. So we gave her over to a rescue/kennel that will find her a home and will not put her to sleep. It was hard both me and DH cried. we loved her but had to make sure our DS was safe.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When I was about 9 years old and my family had to leave Cuba, I had no choice but to leave my beloved dog behind, it was very heart breaking for me and my family.

Answer by older at 8:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When I was 6 we had to get rid of an Irish Setter. She kept trying to attack me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2011