Do you ever let your LO sleep on their tummy??

My LO will only sleep on her tummy. I know that 'back is best', but she just wont have it. My older son was also a tummy sleeper, but not until after he could roll over on his own.

kimberlykuney

Asked by kimberlykuney at 8:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids were tummy sleepers, they simply would not sleep on their backs. I just kept a close eye on them, checked on them a lot and made sure there was nothing that could get near their faces that would inhibit breathing.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Sleeping on their tummy is the most biologically normal. They feel vulnerable if they sleep on their backs. For most of mankind's history babies slept ON their mothers, on their tummies against her chest for protection from predators and to be close to mom and their food source, they are biologically designed to sleep on their tummies in their mothers' immediate vicinity. I MADE my daughter sleep on her back no matter how much sleep we both lost lol. For my son I compromised and let him sleep on his side until he decided he wouldn't sleep like that any more and started rolling onto his tummy.

I think if you're not a smoker, live a healthy lifestyle, baby is otherwise healthy, you're breastfeeding and baby can hear you breathe, tummy sleeping isn't a big deal.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• all four of my kids were tummy sleepers....they are 14, 13, 6, and 5 now...and they all still sleep on their stomachs lol.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes from the day she came home. She would not sleep on her back.

She slept in the bassinet next to me. The mattress was propped up at a 45 deg angle (reflux) and there was a ceiling fan on all the time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• when my kids were babies I put them to leep in a positioner kinda on their side incase they spit up they wouldn't choke. Whatever way I laid them one night then the next night would be on the other side so that their head didn't get miss shaped (that was my worse fear), but when I was awake I would keep an eye on them and I would put them on their belly to sleep, bt only during the day when I was awake
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My son never pushed the subject but I had the idea that he would stop breathing or something so I always checked on him and flipped him back over. If she can turn over on her own then I would let it go. I could never forgive myself if I let the unthinkable happen. If you feel she is safe than she most likely is.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• as soon as my kids could roll they slept on their tummy with their little butt in the air.. no stopping them
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• its funny how things go back and forth over the years. when my mother had me, they were told to put us to sleep on our tummies. they said sleeping on the back is a choking hazard, and sleeping on the tummy puts pressure on it for babies with gas troubles.

anyway, as soon as my little ones could roll over to their tummies, i let them be. i never purposely put them to sleep on their tummies before that, but a friend of mine did because her baby preferred that position. before she could roll over to the position herself, my friend just kept a close eye on her when she slept on her tummy. her baby is turning a year old soon and completely fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my kids were tummy sleepers!
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• With my first, I always put him on his back...and it was a battle. By 3am we were both crying and fell asleep with each other on the couch.
    With my second, I didn't fight it. I just made sure his crib was bare and his head was on its side so his nose and mouth weren't obstructed. We both slept like champs!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2011