Wireless internet?

I want to get wireless internet and I already have internet service through AT&T and they want a 100.00 for a modem but I was wondering if I could just buy one some where cheaper and could I still set it up and will it work?

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Technology

• If you already have internet service, then all you need is a wireless router. You can pick them up pretty cheap anywhere. Walmart, Target, Radio Shack, etc. Around $50-$75. They are super easy to install, and usually have support numbers to call if you are having trouble. Good luck!!
    kimberlykuney

Answer by kimberlykuney at 8:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• All you need is a wireless router. You plug your internet into the router and it broadcasts wireless internet.

You can get them at www.neweegg.com fairly cheap.  (20-30),  Just make sure that you read up on how to password protect otherwise others will be able to steal your internet causing it to slow down.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I bought a router at walmart for like $50. they included a CD that walked you through everything and made it pretty idiot proof. I love it, we have the laptop and wii connected to the net now and enjoy our netflix dvd free!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Don't you need a router????
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• yes you can get them from anywere i would say walmart would probably be the cheapest
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• @mmxi I am completely lost when it comes to these things so no idea on what you are talking about. sorry.
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

Same here. Call Best Buy Store They will have all the answers.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would say yes, but they still have to fix it so you have it set up I do believe..
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if you get a regular modem you will need a wirless router that way the computer picks up the connection however if you get a modem wiht built in wirless you dont need a router ( i work for a cable company) we call them a D3 or 3.0 modem. When you go to purchase a modem make sure it has wirless built in.
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011