Does anybody know about the peanut allergy ? Is it a good idea to stay away from peanut's completely during pregnancy or okay to have in moderation? I am a fan of peanut butter and never had allergies to it. I found out jus the other day my nephew was very allergic to peanuts, and my sister was not allergic and her husband wasn't either.

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Some people can have an anaphylasis attack from ingesting peanuts. Others might have stomachache. Others might develop skin reactions, etc Depends on the severity of the allergy
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 9:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't know what the experts say, but I love peanut butter! I had it all the time when I was pregnant, on sandwiches, on apples, etc. I have 5 kids and 4 of them aren't allergic to peanuts. Not sure about the 5th yet because she's only 8 months old, but I'm hoping not because my other 4 love it almost as much as I do.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would suggest you ask your OBGYN. There are some study's that suggest if you eat PB during pregnancy you might pass on an allergy, I say BS! If the baby's going to be allergic nothing you do/eat while your preggo will cause it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I ate it too when I was pregnant, and all 3 of our boys have been eating it since they could eat solids and are fine.. If you're concerned talk to your OB, I'm sure they could give you a more accurate answer to your question.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The tendency to be allergic is what gets inherited, not the specific allergy. I had morning sickness with DD and was living on Jello and honey roasted peanuts. I stayed away from fresh fruit as I'm allergic to it. DD has reacted to fresh fruit but not to peanuts. I also stayed away from tree nut due to my allergy and DD can eat those too.

I don't think medical science has this figured out at all.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i dont think u have to stay away from it during pregnancy, WIC gives me peanut butter...
    tayysmommy

Answer by tayysmommy at 9:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My son is highly allergic to not just peanuts but other things as well. You won't know for sure if your baby will have it or not. I am not allergic to peanuts and neither is my husband. Food allergies are strange. You can be fine the first time then the next have a severe reaction anywhere from hives around the mouth, runny and itchy nose, sore throat and stomach problems to as one poster said to shock.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I ate it during all three of my pregnancies and even when nursing and my children do not have an allergy to peanuts.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Stay away from any kind of peanuts!!!! No peanut oil either!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i ate pb & js almost daily when i was pregnant. i dont think it will affect your unborn, but you can ask your OB to be sure.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011