Silly question...but are there any countries that don't keep cats as pets?

I had a dream last night that I was on a mission trip in Africa, and we took my cat with us. The kids there played with him constantly and thought he was so cool...it made me wonder if people everywhere keep cats.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Well I cant find any info on google, so Id say no. Every country will keep cats as pets. Not all Chinese or Korean or Phillipean people eat or raise cats to eat. Same with dogs. But Iv found in my travels to poor country's that there is almost always wild cat's and dogs the whole village sort of takes care of and it belongs to no one.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I know in that in Central American countries, if you own a pet cat the neighbors won' t like you bc cats over there are nuisances bc they are loud and fight b/c no one gets them fixed.
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 10:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• most countries are too poor to keep pets that don't have a job in the family. Chinese people actually raise cats as food. Korean people eat dogs. Most nations in Africa are poor and the average Joe can't afford to feed a cat if it's not going to provide his family with a service.

so yes, there are many places where cats are not kept as pets.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• bunmp
    sugarsmom2

Answer by sugarsmom2 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have heard China raises them for food.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 11:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Some countries look at them as food. I couldn't but if you were raised like that you don't really think about it I guess. Plus ithelps keep dog/cat population down as well.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2011