Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

Im marries to a man that is a deadbeat dad to his 15 yr old son..

When i tried to make him go bk home he threatened suicide..I know he should go face his son..What can i do

Answer Question

Asked by grannybradford at 9:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Relationships

Level 5 (59 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Support him and try not to force him to do anything he doesnt want to do. Get him counseling?

    Answer by smushy79 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Who threatened suicide? Hubby or the kid?

    Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Seek professional help for him. He threatened to kill himself and let me guess? You backed off right away didn't you? He just manipulated you and you let him. Very few people who threaten suicide actually go through with it. Even the ones who try to do it, are only a 1/2 assed attempt at it. They always call someone right before an attempt and rarely take enough of anything to actually kill themselves. It would help him to seek help for whatever is causing him to be such a deadbeat. And you just CANT force anyone to see someone or be responsible. Some people have no conscious at all.

    Answer by vbruno at 9:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Maybe he needs some counseling to help him figure out how he can do it or maybe he just needs to decide he can do it himself.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • If your husband is a deadbeat dad.. then he is what he is.... question is, are you a deadbeat step-mom? If this kid threatened suicide if you made him go 'back home'... the there's a reason he don't want to be there, and probably a reason that living with a deadbeat dad beats living with his mom.... and chances are it could be that he has you. You may be the changing, stable, loving factor in this kids life. If that's the case, are you willing to step up for the sake of this child? I hope so.
    GL to you and to him.

    Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • There's a definiate need for some family counseling here. I couldnt tell who you meant about the suicide threat- but that person needs extra one-on-one counseling too. You need a professional to get at the root of all this & I wish you & your family the best of luck.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • you cant force someone to be a parent, but i personally wouldnt be with someone who refused to take care of their child.

    Answer by wubbunny420 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2011


    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Run. Fast

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
If you and your SO Work

Next question overall (Money & Work)