Posting pictures on-line...how safe is it? Not really a question.

I generally don' t post pics of my kids on-line, I'm just not all that comfortable with it but I know a LOT of people do. I ran across this article this morning about it and thought the information worth sharing.

Posting pictures online reveals more than you know - Parentcentral.ca
www.parentcentral.ca

(not good at making links clicky)

meriana

Asked by meriana at 9:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• alot of criminals use facebook and myspace to find the places they want to break into. because people post where they live and have public pictures of the inside of there houses as well out the outside. even when they don't mean too. they are letting the bad guys in their homes. i do have pictures on facebook that is set to friends only.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• The issues if if you are using a smart phone with GPS capability. IF you are and the GPS is enabled, then the information is encrypted in the picture and they can pinpoint exactly where the photo was taken.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• We do not post many pics and we catch a lot of flack for it.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Honestly, I think our fear of this type of thing is a bit over-blown. People - complete strangers, even - physically see my children every single day and no harm comes of it. There are currently about 75 million children in the United States, the likelihood of someone singling out my kids based solely on viewing their photograph on the internet is less likely than having them struck by lightening.

I enjoy having the internet available for me to share photos of my kids with friends and family. I'm honestly not all that worried about strangers accidental viewing those images, too.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• What Dr.Donna said. I think people are overly paranoid thanks to the media. The chances of some pervert or criminal targeting my kids because of a picture I put up are slim. You hear about that stuff because it's rare.
    Breaking into houses...I could see that as a little more plausible especially if your facebook status update mentions you'll be in Hawaii the next week and couldn't find anyone to watch your house...I could see that inviting trouble.
    And the whole argument that perverts could use the picture for nefarious reasons. Yeah, so? So they jerk off to it...doesn't hurt me or my kid in any way. It's gross but absolutely physically harmless. And someone passing a pic of my kids off as their own still doesn't hurt me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't post any pictures anywhere on the internet there are too many crazies out there
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I thought it was interesting that there is a way a picture could be used to locate a place or person. I actually didn't know there was anything embedded in cell's, camera's etc that could be used for that purpose. I have posted a couple of pics of my kids on my facebook but only friends/family can see them.. I've never felt comfortable posting them on places like U-tube...as someone else mentioned..there are so many crazies out there these days.
    meriana

Comment by meriana (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I post on FB but it is set too friends only. Not really because I am afraid of strangers as much as there are some people who have lost their rights to see my children due to actions of their own. (ie my sons sperm donor)
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 12:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I post pictures of myself only fully clothed never naked and i never posts pictures of my kid.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 3:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• that's where you only add people you know, and keep all your settings to private. I post pics on line so my family from NY can see pictures of my children but I dont add anyone I dont know.
    MoonMamma3

Answer by MoonMamma3 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011