Should I send my child to a preschool or start her in kindergarten?

I have a daughter that is 4 right now and will be 5 in August. She is very happy and outgoing as long as I am right there with her. She is afraid to be away for me. I tried to send her to a mom day out program when she was 2 and she would just come home crying. And ever since she is afraid to go anywhere without me and she doesn't want to start any school. do you think she would adapt to it if I send her to kindergarten or do you think I should wait and send her to a pre-k program first??? She is very smart. She knows she abcs, numbers,shapes and even knows how to spell her name. what should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what i would do right now is get her into some sort of preschool setting through like a daycare/preschool or something that would be on a constant basis like 4 or 5 days a week half days and do that for until maybe mid summer then think about which you would want her in. also just to give you a bit of comfort kindergarten teachers deal with this all the time after the first couple days she wont even notices you gone she will be too busy playing and doing things. talk to the school and the kindergarten teacher they would be able to tell you if prek would be better for her or not.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would of sent her to pre k the yr before she was suppose to start kinder...does she meet the deadline where you live to start kinder? i would probably consider preschool since her bday is so late andshe will be a really young kinder. You could also get her in preschoool over the summer.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Both couldn't hurt. Send her to pre-school then kindergarten It will get her used to the idea of school and being away from you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Where i'm from they must start at 4 years old. They go half days the whole year and whole days in kindergarten
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'd definitely start out in pre-k, that's what I did with mine, and they are doing great in school so far. Of course, my girls are not all that shy about meeting new people, and they LOVED the idea of starting school.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Preschool was very productive for my daughter. She learned very important skills there that she needed for Kindergarten. For instance, they taught her how to spell her name, because for some reason she wouldn't sit down long enough for me to practice, and how to become comfortable with going potty by herself.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Homeschool.
    Anonymous