Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you change your name when you get married?

My husband & I have been married for a month & i've only changed it on my ss card so far. Im going to change it on my license i just haven't gotten to the dmv yet but I am wondering where all else do you change it??? I feel like i will forget somewhere-i mean where is actually important to change it? I know the bank & i guess things like on my car loan ( i guess it'll change on my registration when i change my license? idk how that works) just trying to get all kinds of ideas as to where i'd need to change it :) thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by NCmommie421 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Relationships

Level 7 (162 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Your checking account. Any savings accounts you have. CD's money market's, bonds. FOID card's or CWP card's.

    Answer by vbruno at 10:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • basicly any where you do money issues , work, bank, car loan, credit cards, ss office, dmv, doctors office, sit down and write out every place you go or have an account and start there

    Answer by cara124 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Everything...Credit Cards, loans, savings, investments, work, any school records for your kids, medical/dental records for your kids, identification, wills (if you have one), if there are any ongoing Court stuff (like in custody situations) you should inform them of the change, too.

    Answer by laird6372 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Any bank accounts, if you own any stock, any loans, etc.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • I'm still finding new places I need to change mine.... and I've been married since June.
    Work so the IRS can find you and tax you correctly. LOL

    Answer by MrsDAP at 10:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • For your drivers license, you will need to take your mariage certificate with you to the DMV to get the license changed to your new name. Banks, credit cards, medical records, loans, mortgages, etc, will most likely want a copy, as well, as proof of legal change. Each institution will need to be contacted to see what their specific policy is and where to mail the appropriate paperwork.

    Answer by specialwingz at 10:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • im a SAHM & my children aren't in school yet :) so i dont have to worry about those 2 things luckily. kids dr's as well as my dr's or just mine? we dont have a will yet, & all the $ stuff will be handled under the bank :)

    Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Dude I've been married since Nov. and i still have not changed my name

    Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Dude I've been married since Nov. and i still have not changed my name

    Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

  • Take your marriage certificate with you. That way they know its true.

    Answer by terep001 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.