What are peoples views on eating chocolate or drinking hot chocolate or chocolate milk? I got 99.9% caffeine free nestles hot cocoa powder, and my OB said that was fine. I know there is caffeine in chocolate so i don't know if i should stay away from it. Im on my 12th week. should i wait to eat a little chocolate in my second trimester?

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You'll be fine. You can have up to 200mg of caffeine a day with no adverse effects during pregnancy.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 10:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I ate a ton of chocolate during both of my pregnancies. I even drank a cup of coffee in the morning. Both of my kids are totally fine and normal. I really think chocolate is A-OK, unless you have a high-risk pregnancy and your doc tells you not to.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• wow you're really going all out. your first? a little caffiene isn't going to hurt the baby. i was a pepsi a day-er while pregnant with ds.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Just don't over do it. save it as a treat. I cut out caffeine while I was pregnant. Also I tried not to eat chemicals. That powder is all chemicals, correct? A little once a week won't hurt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I drank coffee and coke and ate chocolate throughout my pregnancy.  My child is a very healthy, happy, smart, well-adjusted 7 year old.  My view is there's nothign wrong with it.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My OB/GYN told me that they weren't really sure what the adverse side effects of having caffeine while pregnant were, and that he recommends that I limited my caffeine intake to a 12-oz drink or equivalent to that. I actually had a food aversion to coffee and chocolate while pregnant, which is VERY strange for me. I love chocolate and my coffee. The only caffeine I had was a mountain dew every now and then.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:19 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Girl I eat chocolate every single day. My doctor never said to stay away from it, besides the weight gain part. She's more concerned about coffee and too much soda.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 10:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Caffeine in the first trimester can increase your chance of miscarriage, (my dr just told me this yesterday). I have researched this and found that these studies that show how caffiene causes the miscarriages, the women who had lost their babies were drinking a MINIMUM 5 cups of coffee a day!

For me I don't see any harm with a chocolate bar or ONE cup of hot cocoa.
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 10:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• w/ my first i drank at least a coke-a-day & my DD is very healthy. so long as you OB hasnt told you otherwise you can have caffeine...so drink that chocolate guilt free!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't have made it through either of my pregnancies without chocolate, lol. Everything will be fine.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2011