Input?

So, I am 25. I've never held a job. During high school, my parents didn't want me (or my older brother) working because they felt it would interfere with our schooling. Same went for college. I am now a SAHM with an associates, and am in my last term for my Bachelor's Degree. I need some "qualities/skills" to list on a resume...Anyone want to give me some ideas of what they have? (I would, of course, only use what would actually apply to me)...For instance, I type 65-75 WPM (depends on if I am copying or if I am typing on my own). I am experienced with all the different Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). I am doing an independent study right now that I can use on my resume. I want to get a job once I finish my degree, which will be done in April, but I know with no work experience, it will be hard. So I want to make my resume shine with my skills and education :)

And please, no bashing. I didn't mooch off of my family--I did everything for the house (from dishes to laundry, to painting, to mowing the lawn, grocery shopping, running errands (even things they needed during work), etc--pretty much ran the home..So it's not like I sat on my butt the whole time). My parents were kind enough to let me put my education above everything else, and so was my DH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do career and job search coaching. I never charge CafeMoms for my services. If you send me a message, I will be happy to help you create a great resume and cover letters.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Organizational skills, time management skills and attention to details are all things you do now with having kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• definitely put typing and Microsoft on your resume. and the fact that you will have a degree will help a lot as well
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Thanks!! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you have taken an internship, list that. I would also list your previous experience working, even if it was babysitting for someone, or whatever. However, the "rule" for resumes is to lead with education if you have more education than experience, or lead with experience if you have more experience than education. So I would list your education first, and also try to list some people you have performed work for in the past as references if they will offer.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2011