He did it for me, he will do it for you

Well, out of lazyness- once again I didn't change the channel and the 700 club is on.There was a story about a woman who lost her job and had her dreamhouse she'd worked so hard for up for sale, but through  being specific in prayer was able to get another job and keep her house.  That's fine if that is how she sees it.
Then the host (not Pat today) said this:
"He will do it for you, he loves you(your his kids? that's what it sounds like he says there) keep track of these things weather you keep track of the increase, or you say "Lord, here's the job I want, here are the details" Uh, that way, you know when he's answered the prayer. When you start praying with specificity is the time that God reallymoves into action, because then you'll know that it was him. It wasn't based on your own effort. It was based on him and what he can do for you then he backs this up with bible references

anyhow, is it just me or anyone else bugged by the part in purple...maybe it bugs me because my mother is one of those people who will never take credit for things she does-it's always how God got her the job, or whatever.  I mean HE did't apply for the job, HE didn't interview...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 10:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Funny, I was thinking about the opposite today. I wondered what people who believe in the power of prayer think of those who don't pray (or even believe in any supernatural power), who go through the same hard times and good times. There is something called serendipity, where things seem to fall into place, just the right way at the right time, even if we're not looking for it. I don't call it supernatural, or luck, but just a happy coincidence. Things just sometimes work out that way. For those who are superstitious, it would be "natural" to attribute the happy change of circumstances to a supernatural being, but even people who don't believe in the supernatural find that the same amount of good and bad things will happen in their lives. People who pray get ill, so do people who don't pray.  People who pray recover from illness, so do people who don't pray.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I know people like this.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It kinda bugs me too. IMO, I applied for the job, but God just gave me the courage and strength to do what needed to be done. I don't believe God just grants your every prayer or wish. I believe it more of guidance than anything. He guides you toward your and His goals for your life. He strengthens you and comforts you along the way. He shows you opportunities, but it is up to you to take them. I guess what I'm trying to say that its a joint effort.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm not sure why it bothers you so much? If I choose to live my life giving God the glory for the good and bad things in my life, I'm not hurting you or anyone else. Your mother seems to have had a rough life, I find it great if she can find comfort in God. We were never promised an easy life.
    I didn't like the fact that it insinuated that people don't receive blessings because they don't pray "specifically" enough. God knows the heart, the wants, and the needs in everyone. It's all in his time...not ours.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It's dangerous! 

Oh I don't need to get a job because god will pay all my bills.  Good luck with that!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Ugh.

That's all I have to say about that.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• it doesn't bug me, but then i'm a xtian and i believe in prayer. perhaps your mother believes God caused/allowed 'things' to happen to move in her direction beneficially. perhaps the other person vying for the job didn't wake up in time for the interview that would've placed them in the job. maybe God had the little birdies busy feeding their young, instead of chirping loudly outside of the other interviewer's window..thus, he woke up later than he needed to.
    just a thought. a stretch. but some people think like this, and big deal, eh? its not harming anyone if someone gives credit for their good fortune to God..the better question is why does it bug you? surely your mother is happy and productive..so she gives props to God...?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You need to get a remote and tape it to your leg- ;)

But yes, I am a bit bothered by that message in purple- although I think people can believe as they wish- I think its unwise that someone with the platform that the 700 Club has to say things like "it is not based on your effort"- I think it makes people that are not having a good time of it feel hopeless and unloved- like God loves them less than people that are doing well right now- I think its important for people in positions of "power" to remember how many people hear/see their message and the potential for not only good but not so good that comes with it-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It "bugs" me on a few levels..
    First, it suggests that those who suffer aren't praying specifically enough, as if, had a tortured person said their prayer just a little differently, they might be saved, but no..they were too ambiguous in their delivery.
    There's no evidence for any god having any sort of intervention, and in medical cases, science can be dismissed because god is thought to be in the origin of the cure.
    This idea can perpetuates false hope in the supernatural, keeping man psychologically dis-empowered and irresponsible.
    It's dishonest.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I just don't get how people can live thier lives and take no credit for the good stuff --

i don't get it either, but its not my issue to worry about. and i didn't mean to offend you, but from your post, i had no idea the troubles your mom has had. apparently, she doesn't either..or at least, she doesn't worry about them. (assuming, again.)
    sometimes people do things we don't understand. what she's doing isn't harming her or anyone else..she's just not taking credit for positive things in her life being brought about by her own doing, and that bugs you. understood. but again, if she's ok with it, and she's not harming anyone...
    also, if watching particular religious programming upsets you this much, watch HGTV or the Food Network. :)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2011