When are after school activites too much?

I have 2 kids in activites, ds is in baseball and cubscouts and dd is in dance for a total of 4 days a week. My ex and I discussed in length each activity and only signed them up when we were in complete agreement. DH has 2 kids in 2 activites for a total of 4 days a week. BM just signed up their youngest, age 5, for a second activity without consulting with dh. She just announced the new schedule, now totalling 6 activites a week for them. When is it too much?! This is the first year my kids have ever participated in any activities... so I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all.

ConcernedMom141

Asked by ConcernedMom141 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you can't fit them all in, it's too much. If you're feeling stressed and overwhelmed, it's too much. The activities are supposed to be fun. If they're not fun anymore, it's too much.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If you OR the kids are constantly stressing about these activities, it's too much. If grades start slipping, attitudes crop up, sleep schedules get disrupted....you will see the sigs
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• when it starts affecting their school in my opinion it's too much. If they're able to keep up with everything (and you too), then I think it's great. Just remember, everyone needs a break now and then :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if your overwhelmed you need to cut back on some of the activities. also when you have no family time or have a hard time finding family time you need to cut back. activities are fun but family and families well being should always come first.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I agree...you are just as important as your kids are in considering how many activities. And the BM just randomly deciding something w/o consulting y'all...that was just rude.

Right now, my kids don't have any extra activities other than going to school simply because I couldn't keep up with it all. I already feel run down and ragged with having to take them to school and home! (And if you saw my schedule, you'd know why too.)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Do you have to drive the step kids to their activities? If she expects you to drive them to practice I would tell her no with the activity she didn't ask about. Your husband should be driving them to the ones he okayed, I can see going to the games but you don't need to be there for practice.....with any kid.

With having 4 kids you are going to have a lot of activities going on during the week, especially if they have more then one. You can't ask your step kids to stop their activities just like you can't ask your kids. Since your ex agreed to these activities can he help out by driving to scouts and practices a few times a month?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2011