This might be a silly question,....but should I take her to the doctors?

My almost 14 month old DD came down with what I thought was a cold. Last night her nose was runny, she can't breathe out of her nose, well this morning when she woke up, I immediately freaked out because her eye was closed shut because there was ''glue like'' stuff on it, and it was crusty. Her nose is sooooo nasty. I have been giving her tylenol, because I don't know what else to give her for her age. Everytime I take her to the doctors they say she's too young for antibiotics, and prescribes her over the counter stuff I can buy myself. Idk what to do, and I don't want to drive 45 minutes away if it's true they really can't give her something...

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds liike a little virus. Kids can take antibiotics IF it's a true bacterial infection. If it's viral, antibiotics don't touch it anyway and you end up killing good bacteria. My daughter just go over a BAD infection..however she had ear infections, so she was given antibiotics. Just keep her comfy. See if you can alternate Motrin with Tylenol...can't remember the age/weight for motrin. Other than that, just warm menthol baths work wonders and a humidifier. good luck!! It sucks when they're sick :(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• get out the bulb syringe and suck that nose out! and get some saline drops for her nose. and try some vapor rub on the bottoms of her feet. and some motrin. sorry not much you can do at that age. just keep an eye on her and if her hands or feet start to turn blue get her in asap as it could turn into RSV
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There is no age that is too young for antibiotics, the ointment that they put on babies eyes when they are born is an antibiotic ointment. I think you may want to consider a different peditrician if this is what yours is telling you. Is this your first child? The first child is scary because everything is new and you tend to worry more. I work in an ED as an RN and I have given antibiotics via IV to children only a few months old and even as young as a few days old depending on the situation. Is she acting like herself, children tend to act differently when they are sick. Does she have a fever? (You have to check with a thermometer!) If she does alternate between children's Motrin and Tylenol and follow up with the Doctor if the temp is greater than 101. There has actually been reccent research that says we over treat fevers, bringing your child in for somehting minor puts them at risk for worse illness.
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Could be pollen allergy's or a cold. I have bad tree pollen allergy's and I wake up everyday with crusty glued shut eyes. Call her Dr and ask the nurse if you should come in.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• keep her nose clean and take a warm cloth to clean her eyes. sounds like she has a head cold. keep her out of the cool air and don't have any fans blowing on her.

meds are not recommended for kids till they are 2 yrs of age.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Sounds like a common cold and she will be fine. and 14 months is NOT to young for antibiotics my dd had to take antibioics at 2 months olds
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i'd call the doc's office and let them decide if she needs to be seen. Usually they recommend it if the baby has had a fever for more than 24 or 48 hours.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you are worried than YES. A mother knows her child best.
    amanda1503

Answer by amanda1503 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My Son was 2 months old when he got pink eye & they prescribed a prescription eye drop for him. Don't wait when it comes to the eyes call the Dr. ASAP & bring her in today!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It sounds like a cold, but if your LO rubbed her nose and then her eye......it could have turned into pink eye, espcially if her eye was crusted shut with green mucusy stuff. My son had that happen to him a couple of times. I would take her to be seen so you can get some Polymixin antibiotic eye drops for her. Pink eye is no fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2011