Do you think wearing your wedding band to work could have a slight disadvantage to getting higher tips as a waitress, especially if the customers are mostly young single men? or married men..what do you think?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• yes. in fact when i was applying for jobs i applied at Friendly's and my hubby told me, "remember to take off your ring so you get better tips. guests notice that." and it;s true. work is about making money, not about letting everyone know your personal life
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• that's funny..because i've taken note of better servers/waiters, by my standards, and they most always have wedding bands on. i find them more engaging to speak to, and they seem to be more concerned with the job at hand.
    just a little observation on my part, though.

personally, i don't think it matters if you're wearing a wedding band, or a ring through your nose..if you get my food to me hot, keep my drink filled, and don't spill anything on me, you're getting tipped!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• personally i wouldn't care. i'm married and proud of it. if i don't get good tips because i'm married i don't need the anyways.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Never stopped anyone on this end. And I don't work at a titty bar. lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• you certainly will get hit on more...i wouldn't do it though. besides, most men want what they can't have, and a ring on the finger of a pretty woman means they can't have her, so they flirt.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It will make a difference for some customers, but there will be plenty of others who do not care. I think the degree of impact will partly be influenced by the type of establishment too. I worked in a place near a Navy base, and when the ships came in ALL the waitresses, including the ones wearing wedding bands, got great tips.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I always got great tips, before and after I was married. Personally, my having a wedding ring on I don't think has ever stopped guys from hitting on me - in fact, I always got hit on more when I was wearing my ring. I didn't wear my engagement ring though, because of all the mess my hands were in and my wedding ring is just a plain gold band so not very noticeable.

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Some guys seems to hit on a known (wears a ring) married women even more than a single women. Guess they think it's easier to get no strings sex from a married woman. Try wearing and it not wearing it for a week. See which week you get more tips.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i think i'm gonna try it today to see how it goes.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• definatly. i waitress at dave & busters and i would definatly not wear a wedding ring.. not just for the fact of getting better tips, but for the fact that my hands touch dirty food and ketchups and napkins and all kinds of nasty shit all day so i would just rather keep it clean.
    but im not married or engaged so.... lol
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2011