Have you or do you spank your step kids, with permission from bio of course?

mom24girlsmt

Asked by mom24girlsmt at 11:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• i don't have step kids but i know someone who does. they dated online, he moved him and his kids here from a different state and from day one she was spanking them as a discipline. I'm all for spanking, but not kids you barely know. even if the bio parent is fine with it, i wouldn't do it until i knew the kids better. but that's just IMO.

my (now ex) step mom spanked me...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It would depend on the situation I guess. If I had been with the dad for awhile and knew the kids and they were a part of our family on a regular basis than yes I would.
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 11:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My parents did and when I became a parent 2O years a go, I thought it was ok. In my expirience, it doesn't work as good or fast as time out or offering other choices. Spanks tend to escalate situations. With the very young, I do swat hands away from scarry things, but that isn't really a spank I guess.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• my husband is technically a step-dad to my oldest. we sat down when we got together and decided he's not permitted to spank her, but we don't really use spanking as a form of punishment anyhow. he is allowed to put her in timeout. the same rule would apply if her bio-dad was actively involved, his wife sure as hell would not be allowed to spank my child, unless she wanted her front teeth knocked out. i personally believe if spanking is going to be used, only the bio-parents should enforce it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• oh and if my husband had children from a previous relationship, i would not spank his kids. it's not my place to do so.
    tnm786

• well, i take that back. i wasn't thinking. they're not her step kids...they're just dating...so...she's spanking her boyfriends' kids
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• All children who walk through my door get punished the same way. Step, bio,nephew, whoever if their parents don't like it they are welcome to to hold their child the whole time they are in my home. Or not even come in.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• NO i dont even spank my own kids. and the thought of spanking my SD (11) or my real kids never crossed my mind. I dont even feel comfortable hugging her lol
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 1:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think NO ONE should spank anyone's children unless BOTH parents agree. I have to tell you I would go to DCF so fast if my ex ever married someone who thought she could spank my child!!!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011