Is anyone else having problems getting their tax return?

We got the 2008 homebuyer credit, which was $7,500 that they expected people to start paying back in $500 installments beginning this year.
Tax legislation changed it so people only have to pay back half. Because of this, we couldn't file until Feb 14, which we did (electronically with direct deposit), and they processed our return on Feb 16. Told us to expect our return between February 24 and March 5. It never came, we called. They said "We have 3 weeks to get your return to you. If you don't get it by the 9th, call back." So naturally, we did not, and I did call back. "We're having some problems with our system for paying back the homebuyer credit. You won't get your return until March 25th or later, but I don't see why you would not get it on March 25th."
Soo....no money, naturally. Now they say April 5th, maybe the next week, maybe not until the end of April. Seriously? How hard is it to fix some damn programming? What do they have, the most incompetent people in the world running their systems? Wouldn't it just be so much easier to say "screw it", send us the full amount, and let us send them a damn check for $250??? I feel like they are just going to keep delaying and keep delaying forever, and we need that money.

Is anyone else having the same problem???

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Only because we haven't filed yet. I sure hope the return is not delayed. Sorry that you have to wait for yours and I"m very sorry the IRS continues to be allowed to give tax payers the run around. Is this the new kinder, gentler IRS?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• In the beginning it was a LOAN NOT a credit that's why some buyers have to pay it back. I was lucky to buy when I did and it was free $$. So long as you live in the home at least 3 years we DO NOT have to pay it back. We couldn't file our return till Feb 15th because we itemize and the IRS did not have the computers updated yet. YES the IRS is FULL of incompetent IT people AND employees! Go figure right? It's the government.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• This is the first year we have had problems with them. *sigh* My husband got laid off, we have a two year old and another baby on the way now....we need the money. =(
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It's the Government, so don't expect anything to go as planned...

We took our paperwork to our accountant on March 5th and had our refund by the 20th. We're also self employed, and have everything ready for her to put in the computer... We also pay quarterly taxes so we're up to date on everything all the time, so maybe that helped. Not sure, just glad it's all done, until we pay in again on April 18th...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm still waiting because we had to file innocent spouse because our refund is expected to be taken due to my defaulted student loans. We filed Feb 18, expecting to wait the 11 weeks the irs website says it would take. But we were told in person that it would only be 3 weeks after march 14 even due to us filing the extra form. He said we can call the wheres my refund line starting march 21. We did and it still says it's going to be delayed. I guess it will be 11 weeks after all. Hope you get your money soon. I know how it is waiting and waiting.
    Anonymous

• anonymous, thats injured spouse.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That was the gist of the letter we got in the mail, that we would only owe the IRS $3,750 instead of $7,500. That's the whole reason for the damn delays.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• btw there's a difference between the injured spouse form and the innocent spouse form. Just to clarify, for whoever made that comment.
    FluffyMamaBunny

• I did not have that issue- but I had issues because we itemized our deductions-took 3 extra weeks- something about the tax reform laws being extended and the IRS software not being ready- UGH-it was frustrating- good luck, I hope you have good news in your bank account soon-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Nope, we are still waiting! They have now said April 5th at the earliest....might take another week....might take another month. Total bullcrap.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011