Teenage daughter

hello, i have 14 year old daughter. as of most of teenagers she has facebook. i was use to be friend with her on facebook, but when i saw that she adds guys she does not know and try to meet them in mall she blocked me. this happened when she was only 13. only way sometimes i can read some parts of her conversations through her emails that has forwarded message from her facebook. she does not know this. she still is adding lots of guys who he does not know and tthey don't live in my city. i always talk to her about dangers on being online like this and she pretends that she knows. these days she plans to meet guys with her friends in the mall and she tries to hook up her friends with guys they are attracted to. she does not tell me or her dad anything. if i tell her not to do these things she says she doesn't. but her email conversations show that she plans all this what can i do to stop this or atleast how can i make her realize that she should tellme. by the way none of these guys are her classmates. if anybody has solution please tell me

raman99

Asked by raman99 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Why does she still have access to the computer? Password protect your computer and ground her from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That's easy, don't let her use the internet, delete her account
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You have a legal right to cancel her account I think. It's YOUR child and YOUR responsible for her actions including internet usage. Some library's will even let you keep your kid from using the internet at the library if you put your kid on the no PC use list. Thats just a very dangerous behavior she's doing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• im with anon. your the parent she doesnt need to be on hte computer! my parents never let me on the comp. i was 17 and my parents would sit wiht me while i went on for that exact reason i never added random people but it was a protective mesure i guess
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• OK FIRST OFF DONT TRY AND STOP HER ACT LIKE YOUR OK WITH IT IT WILL DIE OFF IT A REBELON THING I DID THE SAME THING BUT HEY I THINK YOUR BEING OVER PROTECTIVE IF YOU TRY AND STOP HER LET HER MAKE HER MISTAKES U FOLLOW HER AND WATCH HER SHELL LEARN (pO)
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 11:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you know this is going on why does she still have internet access? She can't send an email without the internet. If she has a phone , take it away. You have stated she is adding guys she doesn't know, arranging to meet people she doesn't know at the mall, blocking you, and then lying. You are the parent, shut that crap down before she winds up kidnapped or dead.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• for one thing you are the parent....not there friend you have every right to be a friend on facebook to see what they are up to its your right as a parent. ...........be the parent and control her every move on the computer to have to there is a lot of danger...........what if she meets this guy and he rapes her or she just has sex and gets pregnant ............there is a lot of danger on the computer so moniter her very well put in spywear. keep her in check on the computer. it really is a dangerus place for teens and any kids
    reewolf

Answer by reewolf at 12:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• well, you can figure out how to watch what she is doing on the computer at all times. Also, there is a movie coming out April 1st about this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1529572/

I know it doesn't turn out well for the girl in the movie but maybe it could be an eye opener for your daughter. There are a ton of movies about it and a real life case where a girl met a guy online and he turned up to be in his 40s and he ended up murdering her. I know it's hard to hear but I think it could help. I remember my mom showing me a movie about a boy who went to show his friend his dad's gun and he ended up killing him. It was a learning experience for me and I learned not to play or touch guns unless supervised or of age.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm pretty laid back in alot of areas but not where it comes to internet safety. Those 14yr old guys she doesn't know that she adds can very easily be some 40 yr old guy that could end up stalking her or even worse. Kids do need internet for school work I accept but what I've done with my girls is, my house and my rules. They can have facebook if they want to but I have to have the password and they know and I do check it quite frequently. Other than that, there should be a way on your computer that you can password protect sites you don't want her on. I'm much more of a liberal parent than most of my friends but when it comes to internet safety I'm a fanatic.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I accidentally deleted the message adn I don't remember the whole SN..but whoever sent the message about Facebook. The reason you need their password and not just on their friends list is because friends can't see her chats or messages. She can also make posts and block any friend she wants from seeing it. I block my Mom or sons from posts all the time. OP sorry for the post here. I just didn't have a way to get back to her and it was based off your question.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011