Raw meat diet for your dog?

Since my other post about dog bones sparked a debate, would or do you feed your dog a raw diet ever? I've done some research about this and it does make sense. I do see a controversy over raw chicken and beef though. Can you give me your educated opinion?

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Must be nice if you can afford to feed any pet a raw meat diet. Large dogs need about 2 cups of food a day, or so the package of dry food says that. Thats about a pound of meat a day. That gets pricey over time I bet. I wouldnt do it, but thats just me. Dry food give my dog all she needs. And the Vet says an all dry diet is fine for her and that she's very healthy and well muscled without being fat. To each his own I guess.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I've never looked into this - but if it is good for your dog why not? :) And what do you mean debate over bones? As long as they aren't the splintery little bones (like chicken bones) why wouldn't we let dogs chew on bones? I often buy a package of liver from the store and cook that for my dog as a treat, otherwise dry food all the time. Sorry not an educated opinion!!
    JusaLady

Answer by JusaLady at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't think there's anything wrong with a raw diet IF It's done properly...there needs to be a LOT of research done on the nutrition balance though. you can't just throw your dog a raw peice of meat and that's it....If it can't be done right, then no...bad idea. Bones will splinter if they are cooked..not typically if they are raw. You really need to check with your vet and see if it's the right thing to do.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Raw has its benefits. For starters, you control everything that quality and protein that goes into your dog's dish. One of the healthiest dog I had came from a raw breeder, I continued the raw diet at home. A traditional vet who did not promote raw diet remarked once that this dog was unbelievable in health/immunity. That really made an impression on me. But yes, it is more than throwing a hamburger patty. In order to be completely nutritional, you do much more than simply raw meat.

I have seen a few dogs who have failed with the traditional vet rec. diets for particular health issues, switch to a raw diet and improve. I have seen some incredibly healthy and very senior dogs, and I know dogs who have never had dental procedures. That makes me think twice about it.

That said, it is not always an easy transition going from kibble to raw, it is very time consuming and you do best if you have a separate fridge for the dog.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• no not in favor of this .must cook food to make it safer . add some vegetables like a carrot . or so .
    sugarsmom2

Answer by sugarsmom2 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I did a raw diet for my cat for a while-he liked it but it got to be a lot of work. You need to make sure the meat is from a good clean source-preferably a local farmer with a small organic farm. You also need to make sure all the required nutrients are in there-there are recipes online or in books. Dogs can have more veggies in their diets than cats but you need to do your research to make sure you get everything they need. Even if you go with a cooked homemade diet you will feel better knowing what is really in your dog's food..
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I feed both my 21 month old BRT and my 10 year old Lab/Shepherd raw. They get raw in the morning and at night WITH their kibble. You do not need a extra fridge to store the food, you just store it safely. If you think about it it makes total and complete sense. Kibble is a rather recent invention so what did dogs eat before then?
    Sugarsmom, cooking is for humans, not dogs.
    I get my raw from my trainer, he makes it specifically for my dog's needs.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• True, you do not need the separate fridge, but it makes life so much easier, particularly if you make your own.

Cooking the meat actually denatures the vitamins and amino acids, making it much less valuable to you dog nutritionally speaking. It is better than nothing, but not better than raw.

Giving the dog a carrot is really a waste, again nutritionally speaking, if it is not put in a blender. My understanding is that dogs do not do well digesting and breaking down cellulose, which is what makes up plant walls. This is why it is important when feeding a raw diet to actually puree the vegetables. Otherwise it essentially is just acting as a filler without offering any vitamins to the dog at all.

So who purees the wolves' veggies for them? Well, the little bunnies that they eat, that is who. The cellulose is already broken down in their own intestines and the wolves in turn eat that. Yum.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would but since I don't know what I am doing with a RAW diet I just feed Orijen.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I've been doing a little research on raw diets for my dogs and I plan to feed raw some day.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2011