Do you think I'm charging to much??

I am not a licensed provider but watch one family. I have been watching a little girl (16 mths) for 6 mths now and have been charging $100 a wk for 45 hrs (2:30 pm - 11:30 pm). One parent is now switching to the day shift so she will only be here 1 hr a day (2:30-3:30) unless the dad has something going on then maybe later. So I told them I would so a min of $10 a day and that's up to 4 hrs and if its more than 4 hrs then $20 a day up to 8 hrs so $50 a wk. Here is the kicker, mommy is due in September so they are worried about what I will charge for the baby. I said same deal for baby so it would be roughly $100 a wk for both Kids. Do you think I'm out of my range? If this helps any I am trained in CPR, first aid, shaken baby and SIDS. I have also taken slot of daycare classes.

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• The $50.00/wk is cheap. When mine was that young in daycare all day I pd. over$100.00/wk until she was 2 then it went down to $95.00/wk.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• For only one hour a day yea I think that's a bit much.
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 12:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i think you're working too cheap. i'd charge a minimum of $10/hr/child..or $100/full wk/child. they won't get this deal in a childcare center..they'll most likely pay more..and be subjected to other children/illnesses/attention.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think thats reasonable. having a min is reasonable otherwise it isn't worth your time.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Exactly that's what I said. I need to charge something worth my time since I still have to make plans around that hour or so
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That is not bad at all. I pay $120/wk for each kid (1 3-yr-old and 1 4-month-old) full time. If I went part time, she charges $25/day per kid. It is a business and no one else is going to charge less. Plus, the parents will find that you're worth it once they start researching other options and realize they should stick with who they trust. I think it is more than fair. $10/day for up to 4 hours? They would have to pay a teenager $10/hr...don't question yourself at all. That is more than fair in my opinion.
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I live in an area in New England where teenagers get $10 an hour to babysit and I pay about $7.00 for one child per hour at a daycare (this daycare is at the higher end) If you are a good sitter there is probably clean up and prep time plus you are being really flexible with them and their schedules so even if you are overcharging for the hour you are essentially on call and taking time out of your day to be there for that hour and divide your day at $5 per child.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• its fair. If its a problem for them she can stay home and take care of her own.Hubby will have to work more hours.
    Donna1941

Answer by Donna1941 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I think that sounds fair.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Your not charging enough in my book. Licensed or not.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011