How can I get my 2-year old to eat with a fork and spoon on his plate or bowl rather than dumping it on his highchair or rather wanting our food even though it's the same???

beth39

Asked by beth39 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL I'm sorry I had to laugh. As long as my kids were in high chairs, I didn't even bother with a plate or bowl because it just got dumped on the tray anyways. But I found when I used a booster to sit them at the table with us, they would keep it on their plate because they wanted to be like us. They still ate with their hands a lot, but at least they didn't dump it. My 2 yr old daughter always wants my food so what I started doing was putting only one or two pieces of food on her plate, and the rest of her food on my plate. That way when she asks, I just scrape the rest of her food onto her plate, and that seems to satisfy her.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 2:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree with bkbecca. Don't worry about bowls/plates at this age. Fingerr food on their high chair trays are good.
    Gingersmom1979

Answer by Gingersmom1979 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think 2 yrs is too young to use a fork or spoon, in the right way. I would put them on the tray and let him "play" with them. In time, by imatating you, he will get the hang of it.
    rosieday

Answer by rosieday at 6:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2008