I don't want to!!

Help me!!! This is all I hear from my 19 month old son lately! I know its a phase and he's asserting himself and showing independence, blah, blah, blah. But knowing this doesn't make it less of a battle to get shoes on, clothes on, toys picked up, etc. Its SO trying on my patience!

Somebody make me feel better and remind me it won't last forever!

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I responded back, "yes, I know you don't want to, but we're going to do XXX anyway". It sometimes helped because he could see that I was listening to him. Another trick that sometimes works: give him a choice, "Do you want to put your shoes or your coat on first?"

Hang in there - it does get a little easier as they get older.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• *it wont last forever.* smile Honestly, it won't. He is still very young, he will get the hang of it. Lots of praise always helps.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It really won't last forever. I just gently tell my kids that I understand that they don't want to and there are times mommy doesn't want to do something, but they still need to do it anyways. If they throw a fit, time out is where they go. Usually they don't, though.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2011