What in the world can cause random itching?!

This is driving me crazy! For months now, I'll randomly start itching in several places throughout the day and it usually lasts for a while, goes away, then comes back, etc.. No rash, no bumps, nothing except for redness from my scratching! I haven't changed anything (soaps, fabric softeners, diet...apart from cutting out a bit of junk food, etc.), and I can't figure it out. It's irritating me into insanity lol. Any thoughts?

*And since I know someone will say it, I do not have insurance so I will not be seeing a doctor anytime soon unless it gets a lot worse because I can't afford it (and no, we don't have free clinics that deal with things like this, they only handle colds and the like).*

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Health

• It could be allergies. Weather changing.

What places are you itching at?
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Stress allergies, nerves, certain materials, it could be a nervous habit or issue, or dry skin, and beieve it or not, if you have ruled all those out....we recently had an encounter with scabies....more common than bed bugs. I have also heard it can be related to blood sugar fluxuations. There are soo many possibilties..If there are no bites, than I would look elsewhere, bedbugs bite in rows of three. If no one else in the home is scratching, then I would look into the first few mentionables. I hope this helped.
    ahutt1976

Answer by ahutt1976 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Dry skin was my first reaction to your post but it could be any number of things. Have you tried anything to help relieve the itching? Hope you find an answer soon.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I keep lotion or baby oil on all the time, so no dry skin. It might be nerves, but I doubt it's allergies because most of my allergies are seasonal (and the few skin allergies that I have are VERY noticeable) and I've never had this issue before the past few months. I've known people with scabies and I don't think it's that, and there aren't any bites or anything.

As for where... Well, pretty much everywhere, but not all at once. Usually my arms, thighs, knees, face, stomach, neck, and um...below the belt (no, it's not a yeast infection or anything like that, it's not that far down).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• And no, nothing has helped. I've tried lotions, anti-itch creams, the yeast infection anti-itch creams (which have helped rashes and things for me before, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it), etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I get an itch on my back between my shoulders. It lasts for 5 minutes. I scratch with a wall or if I'm lucky enough to have someone scratch it for me. I don't get it every day,but when I do it drives me crazy. It is not dry skin,just itchy.. I don't use anything but u can try caldadryl . It is made for it. It comes in a pink bottle.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Could it be fibromyalga? Not sure of the spelling.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Yes, I would love to know as well. I went through exactly what you described several weeks ago. At first I thought a food allergy but the only thing different or unusual was a rice dish I ate which had an inordinate amount of saffron in it; I've eaten saffron before but not at that level but nothing I found online re: a saffron allergy mentioned itching as a symptom. I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause.

Mine lasted for a period of about 3 weeks ... off and on. The itch started on my arms and legs, though eventually it included my stomach, hips, neck, breasts and below the belt but not that low, like you mentioned.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• So sorry you've gone through it, too, but I'm kind of happy I'm not alone! I thought I was losing it lol. Mine has been going on for months now, several days a week.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Is it happening at random times? Or can you pinpoint it to certain times? I know the day I take a shower I itch like mad, even using lotion after, because it dries me out so bad (happens not matter what I use to wash).
    Anonymous