Air conditioners

My husband and i are thinking about buying a portable ac for the summer and we want to know if its worth it? does anyone have any experience with one? If so, are they easy to install? We've looked at many stores including wal-mart and hardware stores and think theyare fairly priced at $249. thank you for your help

augboy11

Asked by augboy11 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• we had one. it worked well. they are easy to install.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I looked into that (if I'm understanding you exactly) and found that the tubes/wires etc are always going to be in the way. Don't know if that could be an issue or if its anything you care about. I'd be interested in knowing what you decide on; I HATE these in the window ones (we have two, one on each level).
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Something is better than nothing, IMO :) I grew up in a house without A/C, and would not purchase one without.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Are you talking about the ones you put in a window? I'm not fond of those, and $249 isn't the best price either. We have central air and love it, and I won't buy a house without it. I've never heard of any other kind of a/c.
    Anonymous

• a portable ac is the one you can bring room to room and no you dont put it in the window
    augboy11

Comment by augboy11 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'd check on what it's going to do to the power bill before I made a decision. Just a thought :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Hmm...sounds interesting...though I'm really curious how on earth that could possibly work, since you need freon for a/c to work and that stuff's kind of dangerous, and most a/c gives off some sort of exhaust fumes that aren't safe...or do you mean a swamp cooler or special fan of some sort?
    Anonymous

• Never mind, google is my friend. I guess I don't see something as truly portable since you still have to vent it outside...you still have to have a window in each room prepared so you can move it around...meh, not really worth it IMO, I'd rather have a window a/c or two, they're not expensive to run (we have central a/c but still have a window unit in our attic and it doesn't add much more than a couple bucks to our electric bill).
    Anonymous