Can you go back and forth between formula brands?

I just went back to work and i'm switching my daughter to Formula, but I recieved a few different brands of formula for free. they are both with added Iron. just one is similac and the other is enfamil. I've read that you can got between the two brands as long as you use the same type of formula. i'd really like to use all the free formula, but if going between the two brands is going to make her sick then it's not worth it. but i thought it would be the same as useing different brands of milk, but both 2%.

shydawg86

Asked by shydawg86 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is, as long as its the one she needs, its the same thing different name. wic told me so! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• You could probably try it and see how your childs stomach reacts to the switches. I did with mine but he started to get gassy and cranky after a day on the new stuff so I switched him back to his regular. Within the next 2 feedings he was back to normal. No harm no foul, just see what works with your child
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 1:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• some babies have reactions, but the two formula's are basically the same. You should be fine. If not you can always switch back. HTH
    Badk95

Answer by Badk95 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Try using all of your free samples of one brand first, and then the other one, that way there's no constant switching. But I'd say it's definitely worth it to try a few just to see how she reacts to them and which one is best for her. Just don't switch back and forth constantly, and she should be fine.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I don't really think it would hurt anything since they are all the same anyways. Maybe use up one brand before you use another brand just so that you're not using 2 brands.
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• NoOOoOoOOooOOoo! Take it from a mom who went from Enfamil to Similac and found Goodstart heavenly- I had the same idea, use up all the liquid enfamil from the hospital, than the sample cans from Enfamil, then move onto the Similac- Unless you want to sour up your babies tummy- Mine had MASSIVE diarreah.. DONT DO IT!!
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• No.Its not ok. Did you know in some states its considered child abuse to switch formula so many times lol. because it could cause stress on the baby..Strange i know. But stick to one only.
    Anonymous