Sigh**...more of a statement than a question

was driving on the way in to work this morning and i was being my typical nosy self and i was looking around and notice a homeless man digging in a dumpster....so i sighed and had to take a pause and thank God for all my many blessings. then i thought to myself i need to let go of any complaints i might have had on yesterday or the days before. so what ever you are going through right now is it really that bad or is God preparing you for something great!! just wanted to share this with you.

mztxdelta

Asked by mztxdelta at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• What do you think the homeless man is being prepared for?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Just curious... Do you believe because that homeless guy obviously isn't as "blessed" as you are, God somehow doesn't think he's worthy of a decent life?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Oh, I see.

If something "bad" happens, it couldn't be a matter of chance, or that another human being out of spite, and with malice decided to inflict harm on the wellbeing of another... Gotcha.

I'm not "blessed", I get back what I put in. As does every other person on this earth... and sometimes bad shit just happens.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Hmmm I see what you are saying and get it...we should remember to be grateful for the good things in life. However, there is also a part of me that wonders why you didnt stop and give him a buck or stop at a shelter later to donate time or whatnot.

As for my life...it sucks right now. It royally and completely is shitty and there is no other word to describe it. However, I also realize that my family is together and we have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies so, in that sense, we are blessed. Im grateful for that and it had nothing to do with your God.
    It has to do with the fact that I love my husband, he loves me and we love our kids and we take care of one another and have decided that come what may...we will make it through.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• its normal..sometimes we forget how good we've got it until we see how bad someone else has it.
    for some, it would cause a movement on their part, perhaps offering help or food to that person..or volunteering in a shelter, or some other area where there is need in the community.

IMO, there's always a reason to be thankful, whether you give props to God/other, or your own resourcefulness. it doesn't take much to find someone with a worse circumstance than yours/mine.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Who turned her statement around, Anonymous? Sure, be thankful for what you have, but why is it such a stretch to think after the homeless man? I don't understand why someone would vote down my simple question. The OP said, "what ever you are going through right now is it really that bad or is God preparing you for something great!!" does sort of make me wonder if the same logic applies to the homeless man.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Donna wrote: Material wealth and security is not equitabley distributed on our planet. That is just the way it is. Be thankful for what you have and share with those who don't. There isn't anything more complex than that. Our purpose is to love and take care of each other - that IS what God told us (1 Corinthians 13).

This post and your answer made me think of Matthew 25:35-46, something I should definitely do better.

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.' ...
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't get it. Why is it someone makes a simple statement like this and alot of people just turn it all around. She is just saying be thankful for what you have. S####
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that people go through hardships in order for God to prepare them for something, or as a result of them rejecting God's plan. Look at northern Japan - are the half million survivors of the earthquake/tsunami having to endure that unspeakable hardship in or to be prepared for something else? I think that's very far fetched.

Material wealth and security is not equitabley distributed on our planet. That is just the way it is. Be thankful for what you have and share with those who don't. There isn't anything more complex than that. Our purpose is to love and take care of each other - that IS what God told us (1 Corinthians 13).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I guess god made that man homeless in order that others would see his misfortune and appreciate their lives. How considerate of him.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011