Why doesn't my Toddler call me Mom?

DS said mama after Dada and Dog at 6 months. Then he would only say it if he was distressed. For a while he called me by my first name. Even though no one else really does. Then he was calling me Daddy. I would tell him no that's Daddy and I'm Mommy. If he and I are looking at pictures he can point out aunts, grandparents, Dady and even the dog. When it comes to me he just says "you". He knows his name and we will play a game where I point out people in the room and he will name them. When he getd to me he will either ignore me and point out someone else or give up. When I can get him to say mommy he says Babby. he has no touble with other "M" words. When I put him down for a nap he called me by my first name. I can't even remember the last time someone said my name. My husband calls me by nicknames or Mommy. IDK?

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter (three next month) has called me mom, mama, granny!, woman, mommy puppy, beautiful, lady, and most recently, zombie mama (inspired by a scooby-doo episode). they go through phases. eventually he'll use it consistently.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i'm sorry but this reminds me of watching looney tunes growing up, the one where the little girl always called her mom "Lady" (i always loved that one). i understand what you're saying, but looking on the bright side: at least he's calling you right?
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 2:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My oldest went through the stage of calling me by my first name. Just keep reminding him that you are mommy. It really is not a bad thing that he does know your name in case an emergency were to happen. It is just a phase, try not to stress over it :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Sounds to me like it's become a game to him. Maybe try a little reverse psychology and tell him not to call you mommy but by rather by your first name and see what happens?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That's odd. If people around you often used your first name, it would be more understandable. Do you often refer to yourself as Mommy? For instance, I tell my daughter "Mommy needs you to be quiet." "Do you love Mommy?"
    She has no troubles. Every now and then if my husband refers to me by my first name, she will repeat after him, but she never uses my name independently.
    If you refer to yourself as mommy and your husband does as well, I can't understand why he would have such a problem with calling you Mom/Mommy/Mama. Maybe he just really has trouble saying the word.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Maybe he calls you that because of the reaction you give.

Mine went thru a phase where she would call me by name and when I started ignoring and not giving a reaction, she went back to mom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I always call myself Mommy. I've tried ignoring him when he calls me Daddy but he would still do it. He did that for months. He has called me by first name since he was a year old now he will be 2 in a couple of months. He hasn't called me Mom or Mommy for...I can't even remember how long. i think it is good he knows my name for safety reasons but I do like being called mommy.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My youngest did something similar.... he would call me daddy or Dommy..and call his dad maddy or mommy...He did this untill he was almost 5. My situation is probably different though because My son is multiply disabled so I was just happy that he could speak. Give it time and he will most likely start calling you mommy again.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 12:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• All 4 of my kids went through a stage like that between 18 months - 2 years. It'll pass. Ignore when he's wrong, keep calling yourself mommmy, etc, and eventually he'll get there.
    Anonymous

• sounds like he confused himself and doesnt understand the terms fully,
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011