Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't remember the details to the adoption...what can I do?

When I was pregnant with my first child, my parents were very persistant to adopt her. They promised me that the adoption was only be paperwork, I would raise my daughter, they would remain grandparents, and that was how she will be raised. Everything was going great and according to plan. My parents were getting the benefits of having a dependent as well as social security because my father is retired. However, life changed when I caught my mom tring to increase my home equity line of credit without my permission. After that...she continues to tell me that she is going to take my daugher away from me. I live everyday in fear. I been talking to lawyers to see what I can do. They say that there is nothing I can do. However, the more I research, the more I realize that I don't know the details about the adoption or the adoption process. My mom was the one who persued it. Any ideas of what I can do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Adoption

Answers (6)
  • If it was a full adoption where her BC changed and everything there is nothing you can do. Its too late. But, if you only did custody then you can get an attorney and have it changed.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

  • why did she adopt your daughter in the first place?

    hmm.. try a different attorney because some will say they cant help you but others might be able too!
    i wish i could help you with more. i'm sorry! goood luck though!

    Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

  • sounds kind of shady...if your child is in your care & has been for a while now, I dont see why a lawyer cant help you get this "paper" nullified in court. Sounds too like your mom is not very honest person. Sorry. Hope you get this worked out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

  • If you find that there really is nothing you can do, I'd fight fire with fire and threaten to prosecute her for identity fraud for trying to raise your equity line. If you have physical custody of your daughter and they are accepting Social Security and claiming her as a tax deduction, those are federal offenses punishable by fines, jail and having to return all funds paid out. YOu can get them to give up their parental rights and YOU adopt her back!

    Answer by companygoddess at 4:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

  • I usually hate resorting to bully tactics, but Companygoddess has a great idea. Threaten them with prosecution for fraud. Tell them either they terminate their rights to the child and give her legally over to you, or you turn them in for defrauding the government and ID theft.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

  • I see that this post is older but it seems important. I agree with the last two posts. Although there is nothing can "nullifiy" an adoption (I remember very clearly the judge stating that its irrevocable) you may certainly be able to report your parents be awarded legal custody of your daughter through kinship or foster care. IF you don't want to go that far, just the threat may be enough to get your parents to back off. (I'm sorry if this is not the case, but it sounds like this adoption was a scam for financial benefits on their part, not that they wanted to become your child's parents.)

    Answer by MommyAddie at 6:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.