Steak & eggs during pregnacy?

I'm 32 weeks pregnant, I ate steak last night at a resturant and I said well done. It was mainly gray through but still had a pink tint is that okay? Can you get listeria from steak?

Than I ate eggs this morning, I called the company and they said they were pasteurized and most eggs aren't, but if I cooked them throughly which I did I scrambled them they would kill any bacteria, is that true?

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, that's ok. It's ok to have these things in moderation, your risk of getting it just goes up the more you have them.

Good job on the steak! Your main concern there is just not to get one that's still mooing. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Yes, both of those things are okay. The steak being just a little pink won't hurt you a bit and eggs are perfectly healthy. After all, WIC does give eggs to pregnant women. ;o) Very safe, you shouldn't worry at all.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• As long as the eggs are cooked fully theres no problem. And for the meat pink isnt bad. When I was pregnant i always had cravings to eat raw meat. I knew it was healthy or sane for that matter so instead I ate med-rare meat all the time. I did ask my doctor about it and he said that it was fine if it was cooked to a certain temp to kill the bacteria
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 2:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Sounds like everything was cooked enough to keep any bacteria (including listeria) at bay. You are wise to cook everything all the way through. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Oh you'll be just fine =] I've eaten my steak medium all throughout my pregnancy and I'm still perfectly healthy and so is my baby. I even ate a few sunny side up eggs before I had an "OH DUH" moment and realized I probably should've scrambled them instead lmao. Most restaurants keep very strict meat storage practices, most are sealed in plastic before they're cooked (my boyfriend works at Outback). You're smarter than me for eating your meat well done...but believe me, if I'm fine from eating medium meat, you're perfect from eating well done meat :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2008