How can I get my 4 yo Son to stop wasting food?

Every day my son says he's hungry (like for example in the morning at breakfast time) so I'll make him some food. If I walk out of the room for a second he'll throw it away or hide it, and then say he's hungry 20-30 minutes later. If I sit in the room with him he'll eat it all but then still in 20-30 minutes he's hungry again. It's very frustrating because he was such a great eater. Now all he wants to junk food, and won't even eat all of it, just a few bites before it's thrown away and that goes for any food really. Any suggestions?

DamiensMommie

Asked by DamiensMommie at 12:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him smaller portions. My daughter wants to eat every 30mins too. I just give her very small meals. And she doesn't get more until she finishes what she eats. Her doctor said it's not abnormal or a bad thing unless they are overweight, but to make sure that when she does eat she's eating healthy stuff. I know we're trained to eat larger meals 3 times a day but eating small meals more frequently is actually better for blood sugar and metabolism. I know it's frustrating to feel like your cooking or preparing food all day but he will grow out of it no worries.

Another thing I do is when she says she is hungry I give her two choices of something she can have (both healthy) and if she doesn't like those options then I tell her she must not be that hungry. She at worst comes back in 5 mins ready to eat what I gave her.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Give him smaller portions and tell him if he eats all of this you will give him more. If he says he's done that let him know he will not be getting anything else to eat until the clocks say...whatever. I drew a picture and put in on the microwave and when they asked for something else if my picture didn't match the clock they didn't get it. Your son sounds like he's grazing and not eating. And it sounds like you don't like the grazing habit. For some moms grazing is okay; I wasn't one and from your question I assume you aren't either - hence the reason for my answer.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• smaller portions and sit with him...make sure nothing else (t.v.) is distracting him...My daughter eats much better when we eat as a family. don't force your kids to finish everything..it doesn't teach them to stop when they are full and can lead to obesity.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• let him help make the food and give him a choice.. for example: eggs or pancakes for breakfast..
    then have him sit at the table to eat with no distractions.. he cant get up until he's had a bite of everything on the plate and no snacks unless he eats all of one thing on the plate.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011